Wired Mics don't work

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting Wired Mics don't work

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of John-S John-S 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

We recently purchased a GLD80, we have used the wireless mics and one powered podium mic without any problems. Recently we needed to add in more wired mics but non of them work even though we checked each XLR connection with the podium mic, each port works fine. I am aware of the need to power up and down the individual ports depending on the mic. These mics are from our previous analog system and they all work fine on that system.

I have been in contact with the dealer and his rep, neither of which has come up with a solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Well first thing is are they condensor mics requiring phantom power? If so you need to turn on the 48v button on each preamp. Likely your old analog board had it on each or a group of channels.

Other than that it would be normal things of gain, assignment, channels populating layers etc. Really can’t be anything else.

I would be glad to look at your show file if you wish to email it to me.

george@midcommav.com

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

Thanks for the reply….
    The mics that we are using do not use phantom power other than the one podium mic that works fine on all ports.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Hmmm… It is hard to diagnose with limited information, but I would suggest checking:

1. Are the inputs assigned (“on”) to the LR mix?
    2. Are the inputs controlled by a DCA and muted?
    3. I assume you have checked everything in the signal chain for each input? Can you use a test source that works on a familiar channel and then move it to the malfunctioning channels?
    4. In the i/o menu, are the correct inputs patched to your Dsnake sockets?
    5. On each channels preamp menu page, is the corresponding input set as the input source?

Best of luck!

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

Focal, Thanks for your suggestions….we tested each input with our podium mic which requires phantom power, each input works with that mic, but when we test with any of the other mics, none of the inputs work. Must be a setting for these older mics that I am not familiar with, or they just won’t work with the digital system.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

As I said in my email. No reason they should not work if they are balanced Low Z mics. Do they have a switch?
    Are they Hi Z mics? If so they would need a transformer. Radio Shack has those if you can’t get a Shure or other brand.

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

All,
    Thanks for your input, the problem is solved. I needed to get rid of the PAD on the input and they worked fine. Someone probably told me that but I am a bit of a newbie to this system.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Ron

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Glad you found it. I mentioned that in my email reply to you. Those should not have been on from factory. Glad you solved it.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

How would the Pad stop the mics from working? Wouldn’t the signal just be 20dB lower?

Chris

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

If the gains were too low there would have been so little sound from the mix buss it would be easy to assume the mics did not work..

John

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.