Windows DAW control

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Windows DAW control

This topic contains 30 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CesarCatalan.Sonido CesarCatalan.Sonido 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

I’m surprised I couldn’t find a thread dedicated to Windows DAW control… Is that in the works? A beta to test somewhere? A third party option?

This mixer seemed like the perfect route for me (live recording engineer who needs a DAW controller too, to work with the files after the show)…. But now I’m starting to wonder if I got the wrong machine… I still have a month to return it I guess, but other than that I love the machine….

Hoping for some useful feedback…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

should be possible with MIDI

The DAW Control driver allows a Qu mixer to control a DAW using popular HUI or Mackie Control protocols. It can be used as an alternative to, or on top of, the set of standard MIDI messages.

so standard MIDI should be the way on Windows at this time… I guess it’s a mess to configure it πŸ™

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Its early days for the QU32 as a DAW.
    I used windows with QU24 recently on a 3 day recording running continuously and it never missed a bit.
    Have you configured your windows computer for multitrack recording?
    I don’t know the Sonar software. I use Reaper software.
    Unfortunately I don’t use win 8 so I can not help you there with any issues that may crop up.
    I do own 2 of the QU32 so its a great unit.
    Maybe Gearslutz has a forum about windows with QU?
    You might want to think (longterm) about a mac book pro?
    I use both windows and mac.

dave NZ

Profile photo of BLKGHOST
    BLKGHOST
    Participant

MIDI works with windows. Just a pain to configure. Was able to control my faders in Reason.

Profile photo of Tomek
    Tomek
    Participant

Hi,

I’m really disappointed.
    I considered to use QU as DAW controller, unfortunately I work with Sequoia which works on Windows.
    I worked on A&H analog console in the past, it was natural to continue this relationship.

Is it kind of religion war?

Regards,
    Tomek

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Bome MIDI Translator still works, doesn’t it?

BLKGHOST
    Participant

Bome MIDI Translator still works, doesn’t it?

It sure does.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I don’t know the Sequoia software
    However If the software can learn midi commands
    There is no reason you should be able to set up The QU using this method.
    That’s how I got Reaper Software to work brilliantly with Windows.
    It just takes a bit of time.
    And some people do you the bome midi translater.
    Sometimes changing to a different machine we have to upskil and learn new ways of doing things.
    I’m 59 and have just spent 3 years upskilling to a digital world.
    We never stop learning.
    And I learnt to use Mac and Ubuntu.
    All at the same time.
    You can do it.

BLKGHOST
    Participant

If you decide give MIDI a shot, this document might be useful https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-MIDI-Protocol-V1.5.pdf

Profile photo of Mikey B
    Mikey B
    Participant

Thanks guys. I will definitely be giving MIDI a shot. I have to!! lol… I am in the same boat as you were Dhak, an old timer coming from analog of many years into digital (I ignored it as long as I could)… This MIDI stuff confuses me a bit still… I’m sure I’ll get it, but I didn’t realize it was just a matter of mapping to get it to work with a Windows environment…

On to read that article…. Thanks again guys!!

Profile photo of Tomek
    Tomek
    Participant

You say guys there is MIDI over USB for Windows computers?
    To be precise I need DAW Control not for Sequoia, but RME TotalMix, say Mackie Control protocol.

I have no time to make DIY MIDI with translating anything, and endless debugging it.
    I’m 59 too Dhak, and still learning hard, but prefer to spend time on music score during recording sessions, or work on recorded music, than on troubles connecting two digital boxes with really simple MIDI protocol.

Have you friends any good experience with MIDI on Qu on Windows, and possibility to work in Mackie Control mode?

Regards!
    Tomek

BLKGHOST
    Participant

No Mackie Control in windows but you can use standard MIDI messages for DAW control with limitation. I could only get the faders on the custom layer to respond. I wasn’t able to map transport functions, mute, sel and PAFL (tried with Reason and Studio One; they won’t let me map Note ON/OFF msg) without third party software involved (Bome MIDI translator).

Profile photo of Tomek
    Tomek
    Participant

Thanks BLKGHOST!

I’m sad of it πŸ™
    It could be great, not expensive, multi fader controller also for not Mac users.
    Well, there are other players on the market.

Thanks guys!
    I wish you great, high paid jobs on A&H consoles! (used as mixer console πŸ™‚

Regards!!
    Tomek

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

??
    I use my QU with windows.
    I get all faders to go up/down
    I can mute solo PFL
    I assigned the four soft keys to do things ?
    However I still use a mouse.

AND I still use a mouse with my MAC as well.

ANd I still use the key board for short-cut commands.
    I dont think you will ever get away with out usind a key board somewhere.

Its weighing the options.
    The QU is a live sound desk as well!
    Not just a controller.

daveNZ

BLKGHOST
    Participant

dhak, well the problem with the DAW I tried, is that they receive the messages but they won<t let me map anything else than CC messages. I’m just saying that it may or not work depending on your DAW.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.