Windows 2004 problems?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Windows 2004 problems?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bryan vdz
    Bryan vdz
    Participant

I’ve had the Qu24 USB streaming for 6 months to a new Dell on Windows version 1909. The other day Windows forced a KB update, and the USB stream from the Qu quit. I went through all the Windows settings but couldn’t get it to work until I uninstalled the KB. After some more fiddling around I found I could get it to work on the new update by rolling back the Qu WDM/ASIO driver to V4.67.0. Knowing that Windows Version 2004 was out there, I thought I’d give it a try. Well, with 2004 installed, the Qu won’t connect with version 4.86.0 OR the older 4.67.1. So, I rolled the PC back to 1909 and I’m operating with v4.67.1, and Windows auto-update shut down. Is anyone else up and running with Windows 2004 and the latest WDM/ASIO driver?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Yes, it runs without any issues…
    but regarding to the global situation I haven’t used the QU that much in the last 10 month

My laptop worked very well at a corporate event in October
    just plugged the USB cable in and configured the output in Windows

I used the WASAPI driver part, to enable the sounds from VLC, Youtube and MusicBee at the same time.
    And I didn’t used recording.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Bryan vdz

Windoze *IS* a BIG problem even if it occasionally works for some folks.

If it aint broke dont fix it.
    If your windows is working, then shut down ALL updates to avoid the many problems updates frequently cause.

SteffenR
    Participant

@Bryan vdz

Windoze *IS* a BIG problem even if it occasionally works for some folks.

If it aint broke dont fix it.
    If your windows is working, then shut down ALL updates to avoid the many problems updates frequently cause.

can you pleas stop saying this?
    This is dangerous…and a security nightmare for all administrators out there

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

Nope.
    I wont stop saying the truth.
    I have worked with security.
    This is solid info to keep your pc running right.

My win98se and XP boxes are running better than the win8 and win10 are.
    The truth is that updates often break machines.

They broke a mainframe when I was giving a demo of a program , that night long ago, to a super secret 3 letter agency.
    The FEs had installed updates earlier. That demo never ran again at all.
    Lots of people have had to back out updates to get their software applications working right again.

From mainframes to PCs updates are RISKY!!
    There are far better ways to ensure security and safety than updates.

Bryan vdz
    Participant

All is well, except for Microsoft putting a booby-trap in the UI just to toy with me for being too methodical. To check signal chain I SigGen a 400Hz tone to Mix 9-10 at 0 dB, and look for it as a level in the Windows Sound Control panel. No level means fix your configuration upstream (USB routing, cable, etc), or fix Windows audio device config before moving on to starting the app that wants the audio. Now with the update, Windows REMOVED all visual indications of inbound audio level in the System and Sound Control panels (at least for USB), regardless of whether the app is running. Several decades of troubleshooting flight simulators taught me to despise a shoot-from-the-hip “try this, try that” approach to problem solving as being inefficient. But in PC land, without a code-level line-by-line understanding of what’s going on, I guess that’s just how it works.

SteffenR
    Participant

mixer panel still has level meters

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bryan vdz
    Participant

Thank you for that. If I don’t have speakers plugged in (I usually don’t) I can see that the WDM has the signal. It just shows up on the output device only (playback tab ST1) not the input.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    SteffenR
    Participant

Bryan, does it work now? Or do you have ongoing problems?

Bryan vdz
    Participant

It works, in that I have the information I wanted: Plug in USB, immediately verify WDM has acquired the signal.

The need is satisfied in a roundabout way. The Qu to PC input indication is still missing from the Recording tab in Sound Control, even though the signal is present (WDM v4.86 image above). By observing WDM display an output in Volume Mixer (thanks for the tip), I’ve demonstrated that WDM is actually processing the signal in both directions. Now, if there are problems with the overall setup I can move my attention downstream to app configuration etc.

In both images above, a SigGen tone is successfully processed through to OBS, but only v4.67 will display that input in Sound Control, when paired with recent versions of Windows. So there is still a problem with v4.86 displaying a valid Qu input, but Volume Mixer gives me the info I need.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@Bryan
    Thanks for those pics when I switch or use a win10 with my QU.
    I’ll store them for future reference
    Cheers
    NZdave

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.