Will phantom power from another mixer damage my AR input?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Will phantom power from another mixer damage my AR input?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of John-S John-S 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

I am inquiring how robust A&H input circuits are. Other mixers are able to sustain this. A Behringer X32 is for FOH/Monitors. GLD80 will be for TV broadcast audio. I have a need to parallel these mixers by making a number of XLR Y cords. Will my input circuits be harmed if I connect into a X32 preamp presently providing +48 volts phantom power?

Please note I am not asking if it is proper or advised. I am not going to spend the coin on transformers for the two events that need this done. Nor do I plan on renting microphone splitters. I am aware of ground loops too.

GLD80, AR2412, AR84,

Thank you,

John

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I would not take that risk.
    People used to and have ground lifters (back in the old days 🙂 ).
    If you were close you could borrow one of my 40 channel splitters.
    You said “I’ll make some”?
    How many channels?
    Surely they cant be that expensive to hire?
    I definately wouldnt make any with transformers now we are in the digital era.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

I am really hoping A&H would chime in here. Knock knock…..

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi John,

There is no harm in applying external PP +48V to the preamps on GLD, AR2412, AR84 or AB168. Most mixers are built with protection on input circuits to facilitate analogue Y split for FoH/Mon applications etc.

I would just make sure the channel is muted when you are patching things up.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Nicola,

Thank you for your authoritative response.

John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.