Why is QU more full featured than GLD?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD feature suggestions Why is QU more full featured than GLD?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of lacky lacky 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gene
    gene
    Participant

Hey all.

I’ve got to admit, I’m surprised about some of the limitations of the GLD vs. the QU series.

We have a QU-16 and a GLD-112. We love them both, but I have been frequently shocked to discover certain features that are available on the QU but NOT the GLD, when the GLD costs so much more.

Couple of examples:

QU can multi-track to USB. GLD cannot. Requires a pricy upgrade with Dante (or similar) card. Meanwhile, the QU multi-tracks smoothly and easily.

The iPad apps are quite disparate. The QU app can start/stop USB recording, the GLD-remote app cannot. It has to be done ON the board.

In the end, if you are trying to decide between the GLD and the QU, the GLD may provide a wider set of connections, but once set up I’m hard pressed to see how it outperforms the QU series. Which is a disappointment.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

It’s somewhat a case of generations. The GLD was out long before the QU. The things you point out were added to the newer engine. I’ve sold both. I have both for demo. I use them for different needs. Primarily channel count. Lots of other differences too. They’re just different ways of doing the job. I find training on the QU much easier. I’m flying to a church in OH in a few weeks just to train on GLD they bought from an online box store.

Profile photo of gene
    gene
    Participant

Hey GCumbee! Thanks for your reply.

When you say ‘newer engine’ are your referring to the engine within the QU series? We have the latest Chrome version of the GLD and the most updated firmware.

Thanks.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I mean the engines. What makes them run. The chrome editions are just cosmetics. The QU series is just a later generation. When they designed the GLD the recording part of the engine was not in that. Just like iLive. It didn’t either. The QUs started out with that. Like many other products. Older models don’t have features newer ones have.

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

I posted this reply, went in to “Edit” to fix a spelling mistake, unchecked “Keep a Log of this post” and the post disappeared. Here it is again:

In addition to generations it’s also targeted market placement. The Qu’s were meant to be entry level, the iLive’s tour level, and the GLD’s bridge the gap. If I want to record multi-track with my iLive, I have to buy a $1500.00 network card. Guys with Qu’s and Behringers just have to plug in a USB cable. On the other hand, the iLive’s cards are meant to interface with various professional formats. Try getting a QU to produce 32 Dante outs, or interface with a Waves server.

The GLD out-performs the QU in a way that matters in a professional application: 48 inputs, configurable bussing, mapping channels to anywhere on the surface, more effects, etc. I occasionally do shows that require 40-50 inputs, 8 wedge+6 stereo In-ears, Mains+2-3 fill speakers and the iLive has never held be back. After getting used to the iLive’s features, I really notice the limitations of the QU and X-32. I do wish that A&H had at least upgraded the iLive effects to include the ones in the GLD.

The iPad apps are quite disparate. The QU app can start/stop USB recording, the GLD-remote app cannot.

There’s ways around this; you could use a Remote Desktop to control GLD Editor if that feature is in the (Editor) program.

-Mark

Profile photo of gene
    gene
    Participant

The desktop GLD editor also can’t start/stop USB recording.

Thanks for your other input. Makes sense.

Profile photo of lacky
    lacky
    Participant

I total agree with you.
    It is really sad, that the more expensive desks have a really bad iPad App.
    The QU has Android and iPhone App too.
    For us this is a big disadvantage.
    We cannot buy 10 iPads for the Band to mix their own inear sound.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘GLD feature suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.