Why exclude DX168 SQdrive 24/96K USB multi-tracking tracking to

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Why exclude DX168 SQdrive 24/96K USB multi-tracking tracking to

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

For many reasons that I explained last week I now use only the DX168 for inputs and most all of my out puts. Unfortunately there is no way to flip the available SQ Drive USB channels to Layer B. By design we are apparently denied the D-Live pres and converters for SQ Drive 24/96K recording? I did not want to buy a Waves card for live multi-tracking however unless a firmware upgrade can address this issue, the Waves card will become a necessity.
    Hugh

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Hugh,

It certainly makes sense to use the DX168 when and where available!
    dLive I/O with SQ is an amazing combination where the extra power, processing and channel count of a dLive system might not be required.
    If you want to go further, you can even use the PRIME cards (+DX32) with SQ.

As with all analogue and digital I/O available to the SQ, a DX168 can definitely be used with SQ-Drive and USB-B connections, so I’m not sure what you mean here.
    The only layer B on the SQ is the fader layer (I think!), but as all channel strips can be freely assigned across all layers, this doesn’t have any bearing on what can and cannot be routed (or processed) in the core or recorded to USB/SQ-Drive.

The two main methods for getting multiple input signals out from the SQ to USB are:
    Input channel direct outputs – These take signal from a point (you choose) in the input processing channel, so you just need to patch a DX168 input socket to an input channel then patch the direct out from that channel to USB.
    Tie Lines – These are used to route input sockets (analogue or digital) directly to output sockets (analogue or digital) without using any processing channels. In this case you would simply patch the DX168 input sockets (SLink) to USB output sockets.

For either of these, you can patch any input socket or input channel direct output to any USB channel.
    With input direct outs for example, if you usually have your first ‘block’ of input channels (say 1-16) sourced from local sockets and the next block of input channels (say 17-32) sourced from SLink/DX168, and you wanted to record all DX168 inputs to SQ drive at 96kHz, then you would simply patch input direct outputs from input channels 17-32 to USB channels 1-16.

Your specific mention of 96kHz recording and SQ-Drive and a blocked out ‘layer’ also made me wonder if this is confusion relating to the capabilities of SQ-Drive.
    For multitrack recording/playback, SQ-Drive is up to 16 channels @96kHz or up to 32 channels @48kHz.
    With the USB sample rate set to 96kHz then, you will see meters 17-32 in the SQ-Drive multitrack window greyed out to show they’re not available.

Does any of this help at all?

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

By design we are apparently denied the D-Live pres and converters for SQ Drive 24/96K recording?

It sounds like you took the wrong route to configure your recordings…

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Thank you Keith for your prompt response: I have been working with Am. Music & Sound since last Thursday to resolve the problems associated with SQ drive multitrack USB recording of a live performance. I use the SQ5 as a controller for my DX168 for many sonic reasons and to this end have spent a great deal of time crafting the FOH and wedge Monitor mixes. When we deploy DX channels to “Input Direct Outs” the peak meters go wild and zeroing the pre amp gains from Apx. 20 to zero to bring the peak meters out of the red. This process has a severe deleterious effect on the FOH and wedge sonic output. The primary reason I use the SQ and DX168 is for FOH & Wedge mgt. along with feeding my two atomos video recorders that the DX manages very well with the Auxes.

Please set up your DX168 as the primary FOH and Monitor source and try to obtain a 24/96K SQ drive Multitrack recording with those same inputs that does not alter the primary mixes: this is where the rubber hits the road for me!
    Hugh

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the recording source is patchable… don’t understand your problem
    you can use tie lines to record your input ports…
    select tie line in the I/O screen
    select S-Link on the left and USB in the upper (output) area
    then you send the raw preamp signal to your SQ-Drive recording

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Thank you Keith & SteffenR for your very valuable advice: The Tie lines work very well with my DX mixes for FOH and Wedges. I finally had a chance to work with my SQ5/DX168 system today and it took a while to wrap my head around the tie line reverse eng. involved, however once I got the hang of the Tie line protocol delivers a sonic capture that is exactly what I had initially hoped for.

Multi-track play back does kill the FOH & Wedge output if they are on the same USB channels so I am going to try assigning USB tie lines to S-link 25 thru 32 inputs and outputs. I am not real sure this will be a good practice.
    I have decided to add a Waves card since I have a complete Digigrid/Waves LV1 system in my project studio and the thought occurred to me this would be a quick way to get the SQ USB files into my Waves two mix processing. Thanks again for your help Fellows.
    Hugh

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.