Which talkback microphone to get?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Which talkback microphone to get?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of NakAttack
    NakAttack
    Participant

Hey guys,
    I have a Qu-32. I was wondering which talkback microphone people recommend. I got this Pyle microphone, but I’m not sure how the units “talk” functionality interacts with the Qu-32’s talk button. I noticed my Pyle also required 9V of power, and I wasn’t sure if the Qu would provide phantom power to it. https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Desktop-Gooseneck-Microphone-System/dp/B003GEH3DY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1545805493&sr=8-4&keywords=talkback+microphone

Many thanks,
    Nakul

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

It looks like that mic uses a 9 volt battery, so no phantom power needed. Not sure
    if you need to hold the button on the mic to use it or not, some more pro desk top gooseneck mics let you configure the button function.

For the normal band sound sound check talkback mic use I find a headset mic works best, no need to keep leaning over to the mic.

In the Qu talkback mic set up menu you can set it up to be either momentary or latching.

NakAttack
    Participant

Thank you for the tips! I ended up returning the Pyle and getting this one which had Phantom power: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017HMD258/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It seems to work right when I have momentary latch on AND the Talk button pressed on my device. I don’t know if there’s any consequence to doing it this way so I’ve been leaving the talk button off on the Qu when I don’t have inter-room communication going on.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Why not purchase an *extra* of mics that you currently use, or a mic that you *might* use elsewhere in the future? An extra 57 or 58 work great as talkback mics.

NakAttack
    Participant

Ooh, that’s a really tempting idea, Scott. I’ve been returning a lot of stuff on Amazon as of late, I might go ahead and go through with your suggestion!

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

We just used an old mic we were no longer using. Got a gooseneck stand that clamps to the edge of the table behind the board.

Profile photo of ctrl-z
    ctrl-z
    Participant

Using the same mic that’s being used for vocals onstage has always seemed like a good idea for band gigs. At the theatre, that doesn’t apply because of the odd positions of the little mics we glue to their heads so I’ve had good luck attaching a wired lav to the gooseneck lamp coming out of the back of the QU with some mini cable ties. Nothing in the way on the table, nothing to have to pick up to talk. Tends to be a quieter overall environment at FOH (compared to a band gig’s noisy soundcheck) so the lav has worked great.

Profile photo of Dancing Brook
    Dancing Brook
    Participant

Anyone have a good Bluetooth based solution, for talkback and headset? I’d love a Bluetooth transceiver that would do both.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Not sure if you would have a latency issue with bluetooth.
    With my Qu Pac I use a standard wireless headset mic, Audio Technica
    Pro 8HEcw, nothing fancy headset that works great for hands free talkback.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.