which hard drive for multi track??

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions which hard drive for multi track??

This topic contains 29 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of abzurd1 abzurd1 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

I have the Seagate Expansion Portable USB power 1TB drive and it is not really working out with the QU.. I did record a show with it and even though it took AGES — like over 60 secs for the drive to mount- it did work
    But then QU just stopped recognising it.. When checked it out with the DiskUtils om my mac it was saying that the FAT32 had boot sector issues.. so I can’t trust it with my QU and its back to square 1.

I will say this– I don’t think the USB power on (my) QU is all that good. I say this because I have a FAT32 formatted portable drive in an enclosure that I use to swap data around. It needs a bit of juice — on some machines it powers fine, on others it struggles but works and on some machines it will only run if I use a cable that takes extra power by using 2 USB ports on the machine. My QU gets nowhere near powering this up on a single USB.

Thanks- I will check out some of the drives listed above.
    Andy

Thanks

Profile photo of Digital-Dinosaur
    Digital-Dinosaur
    Participant

I’m using a WD Elements 500GB disk (as listed in the A&H disk PDF). So far… all works well.

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

I went ahead and tried the Seagate Backup Plus Compact and it works good.

It seems like everybody with 1TB drives are seeing long seek or load times. I’m experiencing this too. However the recording is great.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

I have several drives I use with my Qu. Some are old laptop drives I put in USB cases, but I have one excellent suggestion: USB is not always the fastest transfer method. I h=bought a Seagate 250G drive and put it in a, OWC external case that has rirewire 800 as well as USB2. Using FW 800 is much faster transferring the tracks to my Mac Pro! A 5400 RPM drive is fine, but the bottleneck for me is the USB connection. Maybe USB3 would be better, but my cases are mostly USB 2.

Just a user tip!
    L

Profile photo of ofstreams
    ofstreams
    Participant

I got the Samsung M3 Portable 500GB USB3.0. Worked fine for a while, but after a month or so, the usb port started to lose connection, probably due to a broken/bad connection. Could anyone recommend a more durable option from the list below? Thanks!

Intenso model 6002510 USB2.0 320GB
    Intenso model 6021560 USB3.0 1TB
    Adata Superior SH93 500GB
    LaCie Rugged Mini 500GB USB3.0
    WD My Passport 500GB USB3.0
    WD Elements 500GB USB3.0
    Seagate Backup Plus 500GB USB3.0
    Verbatim Store ‘n Go 320GB USB2.0

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Please take this suggestion: The Sandisc Extreme 64G USB 3 flash drive is better than anything elde you can use! It will record over 16 hours of 18 tracks, reformats in a flash (!) and dowloads to computer very very quickly for me… No need for an external drive to risk droping or whatever. I bought two of them and use them alternately on gigs.
    <https://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/extreme/&gt;
    <https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Flash-Drive-SDCZ80-064G-G46/dp/B00DZPUOUI&gt;

I no longer use external hard drives at all.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Add in a USB extension cable with a right angle connector (get one the right way) at the desk and it’s very low profile as well, so hard to knock out of place.

I got a USB3 extension cable to ensure decent USB2 performance…

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

They need to test more drives many of these tested ones are not even for sale

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Jeez, half the price I paid just a couple of months ago… Only way to go!

Profile photo of Bocce
    Bocce
    Participant

Does the memory stick have to be USB 3.0?

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

No, but the SanDisk Extreme has been the most easy and problem-free one I have tried! It is sort of silly to even think about using anything else, it works so well! I don’t have USB3 on my Mac and stil it downloads more than twice as fast as any other drive I’ve used.

Profile photo of Bocce
    Bocce
    Participant

Thanks! I suppose it is silly to try this one just to save $10.

Then again, $17 for 64GB of storage is pretty cheap even if it is used for another application.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

How much did the desk cost?
    How much does a TB HDD cost?
    Is reliable (and no extra power cable) recording worth a few tens of dollars?

It also makes getting the data off the stick far quicker (saturating USB2, and even faster on USB3) for production or distribution.

My Sandisk cost me ~£40, and the cable another ~£3, which is (significantly) cheaper than the flight case for the desk…

Profile photo of abzurd1
    abzurd1
    Participant

Another vote for the Sandisk Extreme. I’ve been using for several months now. There’s no reason to use anything else, especially now that the price has dropped from $65 to $35. It’s also about 4X faster transferring to my laptop than the external hard disk I was using.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.