Where is the processing happening?

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Where is the processing happening?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of robertsonm84
    robertsonm84
    Participant

So a couple years ago I had the console lose connection to the mix rack mid set. Oddly enough, the talkback mic connected to the surface still passed audio to the bands IEM which were fed off the mixrack. The mix was still happening to the mains but I needed to reset the surface.

It just got me thinking, what is the surfaces role in the setup? How could audio be passed from the surface, but control not? Is it strictly a remote control? If I were to “properly” shutdown the surface would audio still be passing in the mix rack say if I left an iPod running to the mains?

All this is just curiosity. Just to be more informed. I realize without actually seeing the issue it’s hard to say what the issue was, I’m not looking for the fix. Just curious of the roles played by each piece.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

The block diagram on page 130 of the Firmware Reference Guide shows how this works.

The MixRack has the Mix Engine and does all the processing, except for surface IO which has its own preamps and ADC/DAC.

A MixRack will work headlessly, passing audio according to its last state, and can be controlled by an iPad or Surface(s) or the installed remote controllers which I know less about.

We have our Dante card connected to our MixRack so that even if we lose the surface, the audio still passes.

I have no idea why the surface talkback mic would still work if you lost connection entirely. If the cable was unplugged, it would not have worked, so you must have still had some audio connection between them, but perhaps a loss of control only?

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

if you switch off the surface, i.e. completely disconnect it from the power supply, then no talkback microphone will work.

on the other hand, if you switch off the surface via the screen but leave it on, the connections will continue to run – the network connection will still work.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

surface I/O is independend from the surface control part…
    if the network does not crash audio will still pass in both directions

Profile photo of robertsonm84
    robertsonm84
    Participant

That’s what I was looking for. I assumed you couldn’t have one without the other.

Thanks!

SteffenR
    Participant

but the processing is still happening in the mixrack

Profile photo of Senny
    Senny
    Participant

Okay, this is new to me.
    I did not know that the surface will pass audio whilst shutdown via screen.
    I shall freak my technical director out with this new information this coming weekend.

SteffenR
    Participant

@senny
    Please make a Video how he freaks out, I want to see that 😉😜

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.