Where is info on the GS2-R24?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Where is info on the GS2-R24?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Hi folks,
    Sorry to post in the QU forum. I own a QU-16 and I’m looking at getting a studio desk. I was reading up on the GS-R24M https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/gs-r24/ only to learn that it is discontinued. Over on Gearslutz someone mentioned that it has been superseded by the GS2-R24:
    https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Heath-AH-GS2-R24M-24-Channel-Recording/dp/B00QYUYK42

But I don’t see any info for that anywhere on the A&H website-not in discontinued or current products…anyone know the status of this board? it looks great, but if it’s something that will become unsupported it definitely won’t be a good $10K investment!

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

on further review, it looks like they are both discontinued. Shame-it’s an awesome looking board!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

This is mainly analog gear, not sure why it shouldn’t be a good investment (even if they recently got discontinued, still available new from various dealers). I still own a GS3V from about 1993. Still working as 25 years ago with usual degrade of pots over decades which still could be replaced today.

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Yeah, the thing that appeals to me about this board in particular is the midi controller aspect. It seems like a great combo of getting a bunch of analog pres and then being able to do your DAW mixing with the controller. I was hoping to find enough users out there to get a clear idea of real-world use of the board as a controller, but user reviews are pretty sparse it seems. If I was going to go for the board purly for it’s analog side, I’d probably go for an older large format console for that price.

I use Cubase, and it’s a shame there aren’t really any mid-price controllers that seems to work well. The Eucon stuff is good but has some serious limitations and the Nuage looks incredible, but I’m not willing to pay the price of a house downpayment to get one.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Using a GS2 as a control surface only seems to be a little bit of overkill. Compared to a Qu you’ll get additional transport control section, several “free” buttons and encoders and obviously channel selection, which only works well if your Cubase tracks match the channel layout of the console (using DAW as digital tape drive only). Not even sure if you may arm recording from a GS2. If you’re primarily looking for a control surface then maybe a Mackie Control (or one of its derivates) would be the better solution.
    If you want to use the GS2 AD/DA unit, please note that this is running through firewire which is getting rare on PC/Mac nowadays.

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Yeah, the GS2 will not work for my needs. All the controllers I have seen have serious limitations-enough of an issue to not be worth the money in my opinion. The only controller that really does everything I want is the Nuage which would cost me $24,000 for a master section and fader unit. I’m not willing to pay the cost of a downpayment for a house on a controller at this point, so I think I’m just going to go with a little single Presonus Faderport since it gives me transport as well as a fader for automation (covers about 80% of my control surface needs) plus the single user assignable button will let me change monitors in Cubase’s control room. Then I can use the $23,850 that I save towards outboard gear. Ha!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I own a GSR24M
    They are not a plug and go mixer.

posting for that column are here
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/712412-allen-heath-gsr-24m.html

You can still use fire-wire using thunderbolt adapter if you haven’t got or can not source an older MAC
    People are still using PC as well.

There are people in that forum using Cubase.

The downloads are here

GS-R24/GS-R24M

The best sounding recordings I have done is from this mixer 😐

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sorry not sure what happened there?
    The info is in the discontinued downloads and product information

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.