where can I get this usb?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions where can I get this usb?

This topic contains 44 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ-5-USB.jpg

This would solve the problem of finding a working USB.

Where can we buy the official AH USB memory stick shown in the image?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The one in the picture is a Kingston Data Traveler, like I have said many times those work great.
    Any of the Data Traveler series work, I have many.

Here you go click and buy, problem over.

Kingston Data Travler

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Will it come with the AH logo or at least an AH guarantee that it will work.

Too many of them in the database both work and fail depending on who is using them.
    With the more recent users failing outnumbering the earlier users working okay.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I JUST ORDERED A HANDFULL OF THE DATA TRAVELER USB STICKS THEY ALL WORK. SPEND
    TEN BUCKS *** content removed – personal comment that does not contribute to thread ***
    NO THE ALLEN HEATH LOGO WILL NOT BE ON THE ONES YOU BUY FROM AMAZON.
    IF IT DOES NOT WORK I WILL SEND TENS BUCK TO YOUR PAY PAL ACCOUNT!!!!!

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Amazon does sell metallic + white (and other color) enamel paint, if you want to customize your drive.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Don’t know if I would paint a USB stick at least not the end plugging into the USB jack so paint does not grind off into the jack.

If you want something with a little more style Kingston has these and yes they do work.

Kingston Data Traveler with plastic case

volounteer
    Participant

I would rather go to the Best Buy and get it but they are out. Even online.

Only source is amazon. And they are rife with counterfeit goods.
    How do I know that this drive will work when every other one I bought has failed?

Don’t pay no nevermind to the fact that I do not like ordering anything from amazon.
    I can overlook that *IF* I knew the drives would work.
    I had recently bought some that were on the so called approved list but they failed anyway.

IT WOULD BE SO MUCH BETTER IF AH SOLD GUARANTEED DRIVES WITH THEIR LOGO LIKE THE PICTURE SHOWS.

OR MAYBE FIX THEIR BUGGY SOFTWARE THAT REFUSES TO RECOGNIZE A DRIVE EXISTS WHEN YOU PLUG IT IN.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

This model from Kingston also works, yes I have and use some of them.
    I actually like them a little better as they are shorter and don’t stick out
    as much as others.

Best Buy Kingston Datatravler

Profile photo of jmannn
    jmannn
    Participant

Thank-you Mike C for your solid information as always

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

Volounteer, re this and our other thread- where different users have different types of USB troubles.. I haven’t gone back and reviewed the posts if you said your’s is a new mixer, but a question;
    Could it be that your situation -no drives recognized on the mixer- is simply a defect on your particular mixer? And better yet addressed as a warranty issue?

FWIW my next contribution is to try a selection of ‘new’ thumbs (to test that ‘old ones were ok but not ‘new’ theme) and an SSD or two.

Also, having looked into this further, including results looking at other manufacture’s situations, it appears the consensus is thumb drives are problematic for multi track (except for RME- unique and wizards they are..) SSDs are -though I don’t quite understand why.. are The Answer.

Thanks

volounteer
    Participant

@missit

yes relatively new mixer. and new usb drives.

I got one old usb to be recognized. So the mixer can do it if it wants to.
    That was an OLD usb drive , usb 2.0 , no name white box from staples, I found in a drawer at home and I had never used.

The NEW usbs have ALL failed. They are a mix of usb 2 and usb 3.0 .

Could it be just our mixer? Could be. Dont know cant say. But with the others here having USB problems I tend to doubt it.
    Is it more likely that newer/updated mixers with NEW USBs are the problem. Sure seems so.

We do NOT use nor care about multitrack. We just need to back up the settings and data in the Qu32.
    I would like to playback prerecorded music but we can do that from CD with only minor problems if more than one track needed.

The problem is the NOT RECOGNIZED , not multitrack issues. Even if we format on another device it is still not recognized.

Could it be that cheap knock off USBs are not meeting some standard now as the prices tumble and the big boyz are selling only more expensive very large mostly only 3.0 type memory? One reason I avoid amazon is counterfeiting is too common and you do not get genuine products.

We would rather just buy some cheap USBs to back up the Qu not spend church money needlessly to buy SSDs or other expensive memory.

The USBs that fail on the Qu work fine EVERYWHERE ELSE! My CD changer knows they are there. My PCs know they are there. Well not the old 98SE but the XP, 7, 8, 10 windows are fine with them. But we do have problems with win10 forking them so you cant use them again easily. But we did not try them on win10 until AFTER they failed on the Qu.

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

Here’s results of some brand new drives, part of some experimenting here (the short ver). All formatted on the QU16.
    Sandisk Cruzer Glide 16- formatted ok, but 9 errors in 2min rec.
    Sandisk Cruzer Glide 32- format ok but no errors in 4 min rec.
    Sandisk Ultra 32 –stuck in/on ‘formatting’ but w/no progress.
    Formatted on the pc (these were also all checked on the PC prior as ‘fine BTW, but this one needed format after the failure on the QU.) Second attempt the same on the QU.
    For what it’s worth all of these were fine on the RME UFX this evening, but the Cruzer Glides had ‘use rates 20-35%, where the ‘Ultra 32 18% and the (existing) Sandisk Extremes came in around 13%. (That’s right on top of their being QU’ formatted BTW.

volounteer
    Participant

@mixsit

I tried an assortment of sandisks from best buy.
    They all failed.

This is total nonsense that one needs to have a brand name, sub brand, model, and size to expect a USB to work.

Clearly AH has a problem and won’t admit it nor give us any help other than that data base of alleged working drives.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The only Sansdisk USB stick that works is the Extreme USB3.

Follow one of the links I posted, buy the Kingston Data Travelers, move on with life.

I don’t how many times I have posted that the Data Travelers and the Sansdisk Extreme USB3 are proven to work.

I bought the Sansdisk Extreme after being recommended here on the forum by someone else.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Hi Mike

Thanks for the tip regarding the Kingston Data Travelers, I’m going to find one to try.

I bought 2 Sansdisk Extreme USB3 way back when I got my first QU. (It was a QU-16 as that’s the only one they made then, so early 2014?) Anyway, both those Sansdisks, a 32 & a 64, worked fine, and continue to work to this day. Quick experiments indicate that they work in the SQ too, though I bought a 1TB hard drive to go with that so I wouldn’t like to say the Sansdisks are fully tested there.

A year or so ago, a band I was due to work with asked if they could have a multitrack from their gig to take away, so I suggested they get one of the Sansdisk Extreme USB3 drives, which they did – in fact they got 2. But, tests during the soundcheck, showed these din’t work reliably. *

So either, sometime between 2014 & 2019 the parts used in this have changed (could be many times)
    or they got counterfeits (but they did come from a “proper” supplier),
    or, maybe there’s just good & bad batches as far as working with QU desks goes.

It does seem that there’s no guarantee that one can buy a stick and it will work. I really do think that if A&H could source some good ones that work, stick their logo on, (and bundle it with a lanyard and bottle opener!) they’d sell well – I’d certainly pay a little more for one I know will work.

* Fortunately, somebody in the band had a laptop with them, so we recorded onto my stick, then copied the files across. By the time we’d all packed up, the transfer was done.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.