When unplugging anything from a direct box shows peaking

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions When unplugging anything from a direct box shows peaking

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jim
    Jim
    Participant

When I unplug guitar from the direct box (channel muted) the mixer shows peaking signal. Is this normal? Is there someway the signal can be cut off so it isn’t showing a peak signal.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Not so uncommon to get a pop when unplugging a cable from a DI and or the instrument.
    What DI are you using? Are you using a mono/TS cable?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

This is not the problem with the mixer, more the problem with the cable or the guitar
    that’s why Neutrik introduced “The Silent Plug”

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Muted or not, the mixer will always show input signal on a given channel if it is present. This is normal behavior.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

This is not the problem with the mixer, more the problem with the cable or the guitar
    that’s why Neutrik introduced “The Silent Plug”

I made up a couple guitar cables with those to carry with to carry with me for the
    guitar players who either forget their guitar cables or the one did bring cuts in and
    out making noise all time.
    Silent Plug

I could probably make some extra money at shows setting up a stand selling guitar strings, cables, picks, 9 volt batteries, guitar stands, guitar straps, tuners, drum sticks, drum heads, snare drums, cymbal stands, ect.

That’s a short list of items that bands have forgotten to bring to shows I have provided sound for.

Profile photo of Jim
    Jim
    Participant

The silent plug sounds interesting. It is just that on any other mixer when the channel is muted it doesn’t show signal when unplugging a guitar. I don’t know if it really matters because it only shows up on meters. It’s just that I have never seen that on any of my analog mixers with the muted on or the channel off. Thanks for your reply and would love to see more info on silent plug.

Thanks, Jim

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The silent plug sounds interesting. It is just that on any other mixer when the channel is muted it doesn’t show signal when unplugging a guitar. I don’t know if it really matters because it only shows up on meters. It’s just that I have never seen that on any of my analog mixers with the muted on or the channel off. Thanks for your reply and would love to see more info on silent plug.

Thanks, Jim

The “silent plug” is normally used at the end that plugs into the instrument so when the cord is unplugged it shorts the cable so it’s not acting like antenna.
    The small ring around the edge slides to activate the internal switch.
    Cut one end off of a guitar cord and replace it with a silent plug. If you don’t solder
    it’s an easy job for someone who does.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Jim

totally normal per elec101 if you did not turn the related power off first
    hopefully you had muted the channels on the SQ first

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

totally normal per elec101 if you did not turn the related power off first
    hopefully you had muted the channels on the SQ first

Nobody powers down a system to plug or unplug instruments, mics, DI’ ect.
    Pay attention to what’s happening on stage is part of sound system operation
    multi tasking though musicians can be quick and unplug something before you
    see their hand reaching for the cord.
    An all band input mute group is handy for set changes.

I will say I have had quite a few that will give you a look and point to the cable
    to give you heads up that there going to unplug.

Profile photo of Jim
    Jim
    Participant

I always have channel muted before unplugging a guitar or any high impedance input. It doesn’t make noise it just shows up as peak on mixer when plug is pulled out. Just wondering if it is hard on the mixer when it peaks like that? Would going to channel and using the pad help?
    Thanks, Jim

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

You should always, ALWAYS!!!, mute the channel before you plug or unplug the connected device, whether it is a guitar, microphone, keyboard or anything else. But it should not harm the input circuit, at least I cannot remember any problem after doing that job for more than 40 years.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Not power down the SQ but power down the device you are removing and mute the channel strips.

I would not expect harm but I would expect to see what the OP noted on the meters.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If an input channel needs or had phantom power that should be shut off before
    connecting or disconnecting any the XLR from the mixer or connected equipment
    and of course muting the channel.
    An active DI does not need the phantom power turned off to connect or disconnect
    the source plugged into the DI input.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.