When to use DCA's and when to stick with Groups

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions When to use DCA's and when to stick with Groups

This topic contains 18 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gunzy gunzy 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Hi Keith,
    in the dLive knowledge base there is one article called ‘What are phase coherent mixes?’. Is it possible to write a similar for the SQ as well? because the document you mentioned do not describe the phase coherent mixes in the same way as it is done for the dLive.
    Maybe the product page on your website should also describe this feature as you do it with the parallel path of the compressor. For me it would be an important information.

Profile photo of Sam
    Sam
    Participant

Just came across this and being intermediate user of digital consoles, and just now getting a new SQ-7… I have 3 DCA’s right now. One for drums. One for voices. And the last for all other instruments.

Could someone please assist? How could one go about implementing the method Dave is talking about?

Profile photo of jonathho
    jonathho
    Participant

While I think Dave is interesting and you can glean insight, some of his ideas such as frequency splitting mains on auxes are just too much for me in today’s world. I think the key thing is using groups when you want to process audio together whereas DCA’s are for mixing and especially on SQ5, being able to consolidate to a “money” layer to mix on much of the event. Most of us use groups for stem processing and DCA’s to control the faders feeding into those groups rather than riding group faders; as you turn up the input channel w/ the DCA it feeds into the group and is processed as you wish just as with riding an individual fader. On my SQ mixer I am also mixing IEM for our band, so I am limited in groups. Thus, I have groups for things I wish to process together, such as Drums, Drum Crush, Lead Vox. Others I control directly from DCA, processing only on individual channels, which in my world is Bass, Keys, Backing Tracks. That gives me the best of all worlds on SQ whereas on the D-Live I can have almost unlimited (for me) Groups – there is a reason it costs more! In HOW I have groups for Choir, BGV and more but those are on D-Live and Digico SD. Interesting to me is Robert Scovill (look him up on YouTube) with his idea of DCA grouping by performer – as in the performers guitars and vocal so he’s riding everything associated w/ that performer on one DCA. If I were mixing a key individual artist I might try that but in my bands and HOW, vocals are shared around too much, and doesn’t fit my workflow.

The great news is that at this price point there is nothing out there with the low latency and phase coherent signal path and so you can do pretty much anything and you know it’s going to come out the other end tight and together!

Hey Keith – Another plug for a 1U/2U rack mount SQ engine so band can mix all monitors from that unit and have more groups on my FOH console in a small package. I’d preorder and buy that in a skinny minute and I think you’d sell a ton of them. No preamps needed but do need option for 2nd Slink slot…Thanks!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Hey Keith – Another plug for a 1U/2U rack mount SQ engine so band can mix all monitors from that unit and have more groups on my FOH console in a small package. I’d preorder and buy that in a skinny minute and I think you’d sell a ton of them. No preamps needed but do need option for 2nd Slink slot…Thanks!

I’ll add to that to include a rack SQ model, minus faders, along the lines of what the
    QU Pac 32 is.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.