What's the difference between the PAFL bus and the Listen Bus?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions What's the difference between the PAFL bus and the Listen Bus?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of drc_online drc_online 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of drc_online
    drc_online
    Participant

Hi folks,
    Just been reading the SQ manual and noticed that in the monitoring section of the I/O patching there’s both a PAFL source and a Listen source.
    However the description of the Listen bus is that it’s whatever has been PAFL’d so I’m now confused about the difference between the PAFL bus and the Listen bus.
    Anyone explain?

Thanks
    Dave

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

The primary difference is that the listen bus can have the master level controlled with the master fader or a soft rotary. This would generally be connected to external speakers. You can get the master fader to control the listen bus level by setting the “role”.

Profile photo of Phil Driscoll
    Phil Driscoll
    Participant

I’m nowhere near my SQ5 or a manual, but my understanding is that the Listen bus is fed by the PAFL bus, but may have its level controlled by the Master Fader if it is in ‘Listern Level’ mode.

drc_online
    Participant

OK that makes sense, but unfortunately on the SQ5 there are no soft rotaries I think.
    I’m asking because I’m trying to set up a ‘team mixing’ setup for two students to be able to work on one Sq5/iPad combo and to at least have seperate volume controls for their PAFL listen levels.
    (of course two listen busses would have been even better, but I guess that’s what the Avantis is for!)

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

You can still set the listen buss level in the menu and from SQ MixPad.

drc_online
    Participant

Ah yes- good point!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.