What gooseneck works with the QU-32?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions What gooseneck works with the QU-32?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LesWilson LesWilson 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LesWilson
    LesWilson
    Participant

I’m installing a QU-32 that replaces a GL2800. The GL2800 talkback mic connector is on the top. The QU TB is on the back underneath the lamp connector. So my current TB mic won’t work.

I’m not seeing a right angle adapter on B&H nor even gooseneck with a right angle plug. Anyone recommend a TB mic for the QU that doesn’t require a mic stand or the OP to hold it? TIA

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

IIRC the lamps for the older analog Midas desks have angled connectors.

Giga

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I don’t know of an off the shelf male to female XLR right angle adapter.

I mix a lot using an iPad and for sound check I’ll wear a wireless headset mic
    to to communicate with the band.

Maybe look at something like this.
    https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/microphones/wired/type/headworn/pro8hex

Profile photo of NZdave
    NZdave
    Participant

@leswilson
    There was a guy that owned Qu24 that used to make right angled adapters especially for the QU
    His name was Dan. 5 years ago….
    If I find his details I’ll put them up here.

Profile photo of NZdave
    NZdave
    Participant

His Name was or still is dpdan

Any gooseneck talkback mic recommendation for Qu?

OR:
    I put the ebay item number in that post but here it is again 🙂
    Dan

Does that link work for you?
    You might be able to glance at his invention which he used to sell on Ebay or somewhere like that

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Sorry LesWilson, I misread your request 🤷🏻‍♂️

Giga

LesWilson
    Participant

Thanks @nzdave. That item number doesn’t work but after a few creative searches, “XLR right angle” came up with a couple. I don’t know why my searching here didn’t find that thread. Anyway, here’s two item numbers to two different designs.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I just looked at the two you found on Ebay and the second one you listed would work.
    The first one you listed the orientation of the male connector pins would put the connector facing down. The second one looks like it has rotating connectors for both
    the male and female connectors.

You could build one with the Neutrik modular parts and a right angle connector.

Try a headset mic, no leaning over to the mic when you want to talk!

LesWilson
    Participant

Thanks Mike C. I think they both rotate each end. This unit is in a school and multiple people may be at the console and moving about … so no one person with a headset just standing there. There’s lights, graphics, video switcher and cameras to run!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Yea a closer look at the first one shows it does rotate both ends, looks like you take
    the screw out that holds the connector body and you can rotate it then.

LesWilson
    Participant

I like the second one as it seems a little longer so as to provide clearance for the lamp socket above. Not a fan of that design at all.

LesWilson
    Participant

EPILOG:
    Definitely need the longer neck adapter item 184543194042. You need every millimeter of length to get contact with the QU talkback socket and clear the lamp. At least the GL2800 lamps I’m using. In a related note, the QU covers are woefully inadequate when it comes to accomodating a desk that’s been installed. They just don’t accomodate lamps, mics and all the cabling. For $90 I expected better. What a dull design. Not all that thrilled with the QU talkback design either. Meh.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    LesWilson
    Participant

This is what the installation looks like.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    LesWilson
    Participant

FOLLOWUP: I discovered that the right angle adapter was only barely making contact and the TB mic would intermittently work itself loose enough so that it didn’t work. You need an extender to clear the lamp. I had to abandon the lamp which is a great disappointment.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.