What are the real requirements for USB ??? and other questions.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting What are the real requirements for USB ??? and other questions.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

I cannot find the requirements to guide our buying a USB easily, locally, now, when we need it.
    I really do not want to hunt for one that allegedly worked for some user, by surfing the internet and having it shipped, later, only to find that it really does not work.

*IF* this is really a USB standard then which one must I use?
    USB 2? 3.0?? 3.1??? new 2019 4.0 ???? Other ?????

If there is a speed requirement then what is it ?

What file format does it have to use to be recognised by the Qu ??

Is this really a USB standard device per *ALL* the specifications promulgated by the USB IF ?
    Or is it just the physical interface that is USB and AH does not follow the entire specification?
    If so, why not ?? And how can they properly call it USB ?

<< Universal Serial Bus (USB) is an industry standard that establishes specifications for cables and connectors and protocols for connection, communication and power supply between computers, peripheral devices and other computers. Released in 1996, the USB standard is currently maintained by the USB Implementers Forum (USB IF). >>

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Volounteer,

You can find most of the answers you’re looking for in this knowledgebase article: https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/774

For data transfer only and no Qu-Drive recording or playback, the speed of the drive is less important.

The Qu-Drive port follows the USB 2.0 standard and drives which are USB 3.0 or later should be fully backwards compatible.

I personally avoid using the newer SanDisk flash/stick drives with Qu-Drive, as I’ve found them to be generally incompatible. I have had good results with Kingston Data Traveler drives, as I use the DT50, DTG4 and DTSE9 with the Qu for this purpose.

Thanks

Alex

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@alex A&H

Thanks. I had found some info in that article just after posting.

But, still, why won’t the Qu even recognise the flash drives we use?
    We are going to try USB 2 next having failed with our 3.0 and 3.1 versions.

That document also said our memory is under the maximum that is okay and a little over the minimum should we ever record max tracks with it someday. The dealer said to use a smaller memory. Granted you all are not responsible for independent dealers and their knowledge/skills. But our music director relies on them for everything.

The documentation is very good for being written by engineers.
    Unfortunately it falls short of what would truly be good for users.

I repeat my request that A&H provide guaranteed memory sticks via their dealers. Problem solved! And users happy too.

We , our group, do not care about recording or playing back. At least not currently, maybe never.
    We just want to back up our scenes and other settings.

There are way too many posts here that show the USB is a real problem area.

A&H should either fix the problem(s) or come out and say they changed something for some reason like , maybe , trying to be able to record more channels at once than the standard would have permitted.

Is it proper to claim to use USB when the standard specifications by the USB IF are not working right?

You all have an aamazing device but getting it to work right for us is frustrating at times.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.