What are the planned 128ch expansion cards?

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions What are the planned 128ch expansion cards?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of epalumbo epalumbo 7 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

ahmm, you didn’t understand the Waves LV-1 approach? It’s a mixer by itself. You only need converters to run this. The whole dLive would be overkill

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

I don’t know what you are referring to, but your comment doesn’t make sense.

LV-1 from waves is a digital mixer yes, but it needs inputs. An obvious setup would be to have a dLive rack (with or without surface) on stage for monitor mixing, and using Waves V3 card to send to a FOH LV-1 setup. All I am suggesting is that it would be very useful to then be able to have control of the DM mixrack preamps and provide gain tracking from within the LV1 mixer. Especially if there is not a dedicated monitor engineer.

Profile photo of Mike Storm
    Mike Storm
    Participant

But why would you not use the dLive software at FoH? You could split 64 channels internally to have independent processing (and PAFL) at FoH. Is there anything the LV-1 does, that Director doesn’t?

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Right now I am using director with a touchscreen setup and 2 x IP8, doing what you are suggesting. And I will be doing FOH and IEM with a 64/64 split on the dLive, supplementing with a few inserts via Multirack soundgrid, and a Digigrid IOS for I/O at FOH.

While it is fine, director simply is not nearly as well laid out and comprehensive GUI as the LV-1, and for a compact touch based FOH setup, the LV-1 is just a better option. So at some point I will move to the Waves Lv-1 or buy a surface. Depends on what I experience the following months of touring – but I would like for this setup to be able to tour in a very compact and flight-friendly package. Hence, no surface to begin with.

Furthermore there are a few things I would like to see evolve in the Director/IP8 possibilities.

Profile photo of Ana
    Ana
    Participant

What about Dante?

There’s a 128 x 128 at 96khz PCIe card available since dante’s inception – surely its easy enough to make this card work?

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Hi A&H.

Any news on ETA for MADI card?

Regards, Tor

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

@tor
    Looks like April-May.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

And how about Dante?

ddff

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Awesome Nicola!

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

@nicola – my plan was to use the MADI card as a digital split to Digico SD8 console. But can you tell me if this could also be achieved with the M-Waves card connected to a Digico with Waves expansion, and if the “latency” will be the same on soundgrid vs MADI for digital split?

I would very much like to be free from SRC, so a 96khz connection will be much preferred.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

@tor – I asked our friends at Waves and Digico and this is what I got:

This can be done over Waves SoundGrid but…
    – You will need an external laptop running MultiRack or SGStudio to set up and control the network. The MultiRack on the SD8 will not be able to control the A&H M-Waves card directly.
    – You cannot clock the Digico from the SG port, so you’d have to make the dLive slave, OR provide a Wordclock to the Digico if you wanted dLive to be master.

There is no real difference in using SG vs MADI in terms of latency.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Ok. But 2 A&H M-waves V3 cards can be used for digital split, without an extra connected control computer?

Thanks for your help, but it is quite bad news for me 😀 hihi. But this just shows the inherent design failure of the soundgrid protocol – the absolute demand for a control computer attached to the network at all times. The soundgrid network/servers should be able to maintain all settings within themselves, and the attached computer should just be a “remote control” – it is beyond my understanding why they would design it in any other way.

I will have to really cross my fingers for the dLive MADI card being ready before may 🙂

Profile photo of epalumbo
    epalumbo
    Participant

Any word on Dante?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.