What are the planned 128ch expansion cards?

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions What are the planned 128ch expansion cards?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of epalumbo epalumbo 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Hi A&H!

Wondering when there’s going to be more cards for the dLive? So far only the GigaAce and the Waves V3 will take full use of the 128/96khz capability, correct?

I don’t want to buy adapter and old Madi card, if there is a more capable and dLive specific card coming 🙂

Regards, Tor

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Tor,

We are developing a fibre version of the gigaACE card, and a new 128ch 96kHz MADI card. I don’t have an ETA for MADI yet but definitely not this calendar year.

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

That is awesome Nicola. Will this MADI card also have Optical MADI? That would be a HUGE plus for Soundcraft Realtime Rack users 🙂

Regarding the Waves V3 card, I really hope you are planning to integrate preamp control from soundgrid/LV-1, that would really make your DM racks stand out! 🙂

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Does GigaACE work via copper/fibre convertor? If so wouldn’t it be good to implement this already in GigaACE card? Or you prefer 2 cards instead – one with RJ45, other with fibre? For example, I have Auvitran convertor, that has nice MADI card with all possible interfaces.
    MADI CARD

ddff

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Yes, gigaACE can work with fibre converters, see here:
    https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1152/0/gigaace-and-dx-networking-and-fibre-optics

The fibre optic version of gigaACE will have both EtherCon and F.O. ports.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Thanks for the info. Will the dual interface gigaACE card be significantly more expensive?

By the way, is gain tracking already implemented in FOH/MON split via gigaACE?

ddff

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Hi Nicola.

So I have ordered a Waves V3 card. But I am a little curious about cable lengths and channel counts. Is the Waves V3 card supposed to be able to carry 128 Channels of 96khz audio on just a single Cat5e? And if so, what would be the maximum cable length? You should put up a manual/documentation on the website.

Regards, Tor

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Tor,

The Waves V3 manual and quick setup guide are on the Waves website here. On their website you can also find recommendations on cable specs and lengths but in short, 100m over CAT5e / CAT6.

Is the Waves V3 card supposed to be able to carry 128 Channels of 96khz audio on just a single Cat5e?

Yes! I too had to see it to believe it 🙂

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Thanx! Now I’m even more excited 🙂

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Gents, please, is there any update regarding gigaACE FOH/MON split? Is there some kind of gain tracking/compensation? If not, is it coming? What about 2 surfaces to one mixrack (half channels FOH, half MON)- is that still being considered?

ddff

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

To be honest, I find the whole idea of a digital split absolutely silly as long as A) There is no mention of gain tracking. And more importantly B) There is no DSP ONLY rack in the dLive range. Sorry, but I just think that is a HUGE mistake – I dont want to have to buy a DM32 just to have it fed with gigaACE split, and taking up 7Units in the rack. Then I’ll prefere the analog split any day.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Well, analog splitter with 64ch will be way bigger than 7U. The DM0 would be nice, but if agenda of having Mon split just with gigaACE card in single DM rack has some time line, then it’s a big bonus.

At the moment I’m using Dante, but quite often I run out of channels and patches become more complex with new Dante devices come into the game.

ddff

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

My 48 channel analog split takes up 3 units… On the opposite side of the rack even. So no, it will make no difference. The only really good thing would be launching a DM0 or DM16, maximum 4u rack space.

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

@ddff_lv Dual Surface and gain tracking are in the plan, but unlikely to happen within the next 6 months.

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Nicola, any plans to implement preamp control from the waves LV-1 Software?

Regards, Tor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.