What are the considerations when connecting all of the network interfaces (SQ)?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions What are the considerations when connecting all of the network interfaces (SQ)?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

I manage our network. We have a Unifi network with two Ubiquiti 24-Port POE Pro switches. Currently the two switches are connected via Cat5. That will change to fiber soon. Not the issue.

Our gateway is the DHCP for all of our devices, however, we assign MAC addresses to static IP addresses to ensure the devices always pick up the same address. Basic.

Currently we’re running 192.168.1.1/20, which gives us 4096 devices on the main network (it’s overkill and I plan on changing it up, but that’s what it is now.)

Computers: 192.168.4.X
    IOT: 192.168.5.X
    Printers: 192.168.9.X

and so on…

No VLANS yet.

QUESTION: If I connect the SQ network port AND the primary Dante port to the same network switch such that they’re both on the same subnet 192.168.0.0/20 (255.255.240.0) am I going to experience problems with multi-cast traffic, and/or just the functionality of Dante with Dante Via and Dante Virtual Sound card?

If so, what is the best approach to ensure that a) I have properly divided up the network, while b) still allowing some of the computers access to both networks. I.E. if I re-work the main network back to 192.168.1.1/24 and add a 2nd network at 192.168.1.2/24 solely for Dante devices (mind you, we have only one true Dante device which is the SQ, and the rest are “in the box” mixing computers with Dante Virtual Sound card), what will I need to focus on to ensure each device can see what it needs to see?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

separate your networks
    VLAN’s would be a good idea
    you can assign a PC to different networks

how many devices are involved and what do they do?

I would separate the normal building network, SQ control and Dante
    and of course I would not share a general Wifi with audio control network Wifi

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

The internal network bridge for the Dante card will only pass control data, not audio. So even with Dante and the SQ control in the same subnet, you shouldn’t run into issues with multicast.

Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

@SteffenR

Thanks! It’s the direction I’m heading. There are two reasons we added Dante to the console. 1. Future infrastructure. 2. Remote mixing in a box for live stream. To be able to mix the live set in an isolated control booth that’s too far from the main control booth (which is in the performance space) makes life easier, but USB only goes so far, so now we not only have the ability to mix remotely (on campus), we can also move towards using additional Dante equipment as we grow.

@nicola

Not sure what the network bridge feature’s purpose is in our situation. Would it benefit us? It’s currently turned off.

My impetus for the original question was a problem I was having with Dante Controller on our iMac. It was reporting something about conflicting subnets. I believe it is related to two adapters (Ethernet and WIFI) being enabled on this computer simultaneously, which we need in order to use Airdrop at times.

FOLLOWUP QUESTION: If I run two network adapters on the same subnet on the same computer (which usually doesn’t cause any problems with anything) is there something I need to do in consideration of Dante traffic?

Thanks guys…super helpful.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

FOLLOWUP QUESTION: If I run two network adapters on the same subnet on the same computer (which usually doesn’t cause any problems with anything) is there something I need to do in consideration of Dante traffic?

no normally not, make sure U select the right network device/interface for DVS
    that’s it

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.