Welcome QU-Pac.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Welcome QU-Pac.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 83 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Good point Mark, didn’t think of the overhang when I checked the dimensions!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Edit: Sorry, missed a page change – this is for Bob!

Well you could, but I know from experience that mounting stuff behind the rail in a small case is difficult and/or ugly, and/or can leave sharp exposed edges, and will make it more difficult to get at.

If somebody can measure the amount the bottom sticks out in front of the rack strip, I’ll measure the case & then we’ll know!

robbocurry
    Participant

It’s just over 5cms Mark 🙂

FYI guys, there’s no way to move the rack ears any more forward with the supplied kit.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

If you’re mounting it back to set the face closer to the rails I doubt it will be an issue, but yes, in general I agree…

MarkPAman
    Participant

Wow – that’s a lot more than I thought! I suspect that an off-the-shelf rack-bag for that is going to be very difficult to find as that would be a long way back for most equipment.

Out of interest, it looks as if the ears could be fitted the other way around to be at the back of the mixer. Would this be possible, and would it open up another way of using a rack-bag??

robbocurry
    Participant

Without dismantling the rack I think you could do what you say Mark.
    If I recall I think the holes are centred top and bottom of the flanges, can’t think of anything on them that makes them fit one way only.
    Yeah, backwards is an interesting idea….
    Guestimation I think it would leave the back nearly flush.
    Great idea Mark, easier to plug stuff in!! 🙂

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

And the front is presumably rarely accessed on a PAC

MarkPAman
    Participant

Right, the case has arrived.
    https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/4U-19-inch-Shallow-Rack-Bag-by-Gear4music/WNR
    Remember I don’t have a Qu-Pac – I want this for something else.

Not as heavy duty as other rack bags I’ve got but, as I never intend to throw it around or stack things on top of it, it should be fine. Slightly disappointed though. Seems to by 8mm ply sides, top & bottom, but there’s only a thin padding to the two lids. Mine was suppled with a generous 24 captive nuts & bolts fitted.

The position of the rails seems to be symmetrical, so front & back are the same.

Front rail to closed front lid = 20mm
    Back rail to closed front lid = 240mm

So, off the shelf, no good for the Qu-Pac. But, the rails are each attached to the sides of the case by 4 small screws. I’m pretty sure that it would be no problem to just move the front rail back by 35mm, or whatever distance you deem necessary. What may be a problem is seeing the screen if it’s not close to your eye level though, as the top of it is going to be quite a long way back.

So, I think you could use this case for a Qu-Pac with only a little modification, but if it were me I think I’d spend a bit more to get something slightly stronger and with a bit more space to get at the front panel.

MarkPAman
    Participant

(Off topic update on that case)

So finally go around to fitting stuff in this – or trying to.

Horrible!

The rack strip seems to be bent in the wrong place, making the holes too close together across the width. I intended to mount a 1U CD player, 1U mixer and small drawer which are currently in a much larger, heavier case. I can just force the drawer to fit, but the CD & mixer will not go. So while the case itself is big enough, I could not use it as intended.

I should have sent it back, but I had some proper bits of rack strip in a cupboard, so I’ve swapped it for that.

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.