Welcome QU-Pac.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Welcome QU-Pac.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 83 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

@george
    Yeah a bigger screen would have been nice, I’ve a few new menu options to explore that might make up for small screen size with usability?
    I suppose a dongle could be hit or miss for them, just as has happened to QSC & B******er. Probably always get better results with something 3rd party.
    Let the testing begin!!

Profile photo of john
    john
    Participant

Robbocurry – question for you with the qu-pac and qu-pad app. Can you access the custom soft keys and custom select keys from the app? And are they synced together (so whatever you assign to a soft key on the qu-pac shows the same on the qu-pad)?

robbocurry
    Participant

Hi John,
    The custom strips are independent of each other but the soft keys are the same.
    You can access the soft keys from the app but not the 1-16 buttons along the bottom.
    Hope that helps 🙂

Profile photo of john
    john
    Participant

Interesting. Are you finding there’s some sort of benefit by not having the 1-16 select buttons synced with the app?

robbocurry
    Participant

Well it gives you another custom layer, more is good right!? 😉
    It’s just like the regular qu series in this respect.
    Initially I thought there might be different assignments for all buttons on the qu-pac for fast access to features like hpf, comp or gate but not so.
    Maybe at some stage!

Profile photo of john
    john
    Participant

one more question for you… Do you have the PAC in a rack? If so, how is the ventilation? any worry of overheating?

Profile photo of john
    john
    Participant

ok – that was three questions…

robbocurry
    Participant

lol, fire away John, happy to help 🙂
    Yes it is in a rack and yes I am concerned (only a little) about it overheating. The Skb rack it’s in is a shallow rack but is still quite deep and quite “enclosed”. After my first gig on Saturday night I was unplugging and it felt quite warm to the touch. I know the guys at A&H have likely taken this into consideration and it probably has built in measures if it gets too hot. I like to air on the side of caution (no pun intended) so I’ll either get a shallower rack or build some fans into the rack to aid circulation.
    I’ve built some led strip lights into the rack (front and back) and may tap off this for power. I don’t think it needs much to help shift the air a little.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

The rest of the QU series are passively cooled, so I expect you;d be OK without.

A sing large van, run undervoltage, should be completely inaudible, and still move enough air to be useful.

robbocurry
    Participant

Lol Bob,
    Fan noise isn’t an issue on most of my gigs but that’s a good idea!
    I’d also thought about a bevy of small fans (like used on computer graphics cards) or adding some vents to the rack.
    A big fan that can be attached (by Velcro or the like) to the backside of the rack as an exhaust, when all the leads are connected, is probably the easiest solution.
    The readings from the info screen were showing a DAC temp high of 69c and a low of 14c. Not sure what are optimal parameters for this system. Never checked this on my 24 so not sure if this is in the ballpark.
    Rob

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Regarding heat I just wanted to mention that I’ve mounted two Noctua Redux 1200 fans underneath my Qu32 (blowing towards the air inlet) which are inaudible already at home. Reason is, that my desk is mounted in a flightcase with dogbox so the airflow from convection is no longer working. Not sure if this really is required, but I’m a little paranoid with too warm electronics.
    Not sure about the displayed DAC temperature, mine is showing 35c right after switching the mixer on in a 20c room. I’ve measured the temperature at the back of the mixer (near alt out) and easily got 40c without the fans and 30c when they’re running. Currently its winter, need to recheck in summer, of course…

robbocurry
    Participant

I’m like you Andreas,
    I always lift my 24 up and out of the flight case base as the foam covers the vents on the bottom.
    Better safe than sorry and it’s sure to live longer the cooler it runs.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I have some history in theatres – where noise in the auditorium is unforgivable…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Sure, noise may be an issue. But these slow turning Noctua fans are really quiet. To hear them I’d need to hold breath, turn off the Notebook running the DAW, send the audience out and then crawl beneath the desk… 😉
    Btw: With closed dogbox DAC temperature is displayed as 66c without fans and about 55c when running. So probably similar situation with a QuPac in a closed rack (no big surprise, same engine).

robbocurry
    Participant

The fan I’ve fitted is pretty quiet and running at 6v 🙂
    It’s off a now defunct liquid cooling system for a PC so quiet to start with.
    It’s mount is flexible and easy to move out of the way of cables.
    Using it tonight, will make a note of the temperatures.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.