Weird In-coming Signals/Peak and Distorted LR Sound/Grounded Sound

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Weird In-coming Signals/Peak and Distorted LR Sound/Grounded Sound

This topic contains 22 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of James James 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of James
    James
    Participant

Hello Good Day everyone,

Firmware: 1.5.7
    Mixpad Android App: 1.5.0 Version

I have an SQ-6 that have AB168 for the Band Inputs & In-ear for Outputs and A normal Quantum Snake Cable for the local inputs of the Microphones and Outputs directly connected to the LR Speaker Amplifier into the Board. I have this problem recently actually its 3rd time happened and finding it’s fault. The problem is while performing a sudden Peak or Distorted Sound pop into the LR Speakers at first I panicked and Muted All the LR Master Bus, Mute Groups and Instruments still the Distorted sound from the speaker still on going then i decided to switch off the LR Speaker Amplifer. Alot of trouble shooting went on today and we did a isolation test. In some other days the Board is completely fine but when hours have passed it happened the Distorted Sound popped again. When practicing some is fine.

Here are the list of how we troubleshoot.

1. We updated the board to 1.5.7 – same thing happened.
    2. We tried hard reset the board – same thing happened.
    3. We tried using different speakers – same thing happened.
    4. We tried connecting it to another breaker AC Socket and put an computer AVR to it – same thing happened.
    5. We tried the board & speakers connected to another breaker AC Socket – same thing happened.
    6. We decided to put the active Speakers close to the board for troubleshoot and tried disconnecting the Slink, XLR inputs, Network, USB-B and USB SQ DRIVE and leaving the 11L Port XLR output connected to the speaker – same thing happened.
    7. We tried the output 12R port – same thing happened.
    8. We tried replacing the AC Power Chord of the board and the Speaker – same thing happened.
    9. We tried replacing the output XLR Cable to the Speaker – same thing happened.
    10. As we noticed there is a signal or Signal peaking coming from the Snare channel but the Slink is already disconnected from it’s board same in the MIPRO Wireless Group a Signal Peaking same thing disconnected from it’s board.

I lived in the Philippines the distributor of Allen and Heath (JB Music) takes a long line queuing for the repair service of the board and would take 6 to a year of waiting time just to be repaired. So that’s out of the question and this day i will still find a Electrical Repair shop that fixing this thing.

What would be cause of the problem? and How to prevent it from happening again.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Does the sound/noise match the flashing peak light?

Profile photo of James
    James
    Participant

The peaking light sounds is different from the Distorted Sounds on the Speakers even in Slink Output IN-EARS.

Profile photo of James
    James
    Participant

[WARNING! GROUND TO LOUD]

In the first part of the video output signal is okay, yet the problem started again and began distorting it’s signal.
    This happened in morning rehearsals of praise n worship team.. during performance of the praise n worship team.. signal is okay in the speakers after that the pastor ready to preach his sermon and started to Distort it’s signal again and we tried troubleshooting it and it looks like the damage has already been done the output is now distorted.

Profile photo of James
    James
    Participant

As it turned out it sounded like Humming problems?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Was that isolated to just one input channel causing the noise.
    Yes it sounded like a bad cable connection but it could yet be something
    else.

Profile photo of James
    James
    Participant

We already tried changing the XLR cables and tried different Output channel same humming occured.

Profile photo of Lem
    Lem
    Participant

We also have SQ 6 and encountered the same issue (sound/distortion) last week. However, we were not able to troubleshoot it yet and just used a backup mixer. The sound engineer said it may be due to overheating. I am not really a sound guy so I don’t know much about this. I will just monitor this thread so I can gather more information.

Profile photo of James
    James
    Participant

Did the occured the same Humming/Grounded sounds in the Auxes output too?

Profile photo of Lem
    Lem
    Participant

We were playing on stage when it happened so I’m quite sure I heard it on the monitors as well as the main LR.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Can you hear the same noise in the headphones plugged into the mixer?

If you disconnect the main L R output XLR cables does the noise quit?

Profile photo of Lem
    Lem
    Participant

@mike C
    I will get back to you after we perform this test.

Profile photo of James
    James
    Participant

Can you hear the same noise in the headphones plugged into the mixer?

If you disconnect the main L R output XLR cables does the noise quit?

@mike C

No, you can’t hear the noise in the PAFL on every outputs even on Auxes.

To the second question, If i disconnect the XLR Cable the noise quit eventually.

Profile photo of Rafael A&H
    Rafael A&H

Hello @james,

Please send a message to: Support@allen-heath.com to have the support team follow up this enquiry with you.
    Kindly provide as many details as possible (Video is always helpful!)

Thank you,
    Rafael

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

No, you can’t hear the noise in the PAFL on every outputs even on Auxes.

To the second question, If i disconnect the XLR Cable the noise quit eventually.

Is it the output cables you are disconnection? If the mixer is making the noise or just passing the noise through it from an input source that is causing the noise the moment
    that the output cables are disconnected the noise would stop.

If the noise issue is something in the signal chain after the mixer then the noise could continue or maybe change in some way when the output cables are disconnected.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.