Wedge and IEM solo bus

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Wedge and IEM solo bus

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of NB NB 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of NB
    NB
    Participant

Hi

The company I work for has just purchased a dLive system consisting av a S500 surface with a DM48 rack and a DX32 expander.
    Looks very promising so far!
    I feel that it is a very easy system to get started with the system since I have no previous experience with A&H desks.
    One thing I can’t get my head around is how I decide which Aux master I want to have as wedge listening or as IEM listening.
    I have tried to look at the Monitor template show and saw that all mono respective stereo auxes are adressed to a DCA group.
    I have looked in the I/O setting and found the PAFL setting but I still don’t see how it works!
    Am I missing something obvious?
    At this moment I haven’t been able to try this on the actual console since I’m not at the office but I have Director on my Mac

I would appreciate any help regarding this question.

Nicklas Bengtsson
    Tylösound
    Sweden

Profile photo of GerMan
    GerMan
    Participant

Hi,
    in the I/O settings can be patched for Wedge PAFL or IEM to outputs (see Screenshot). Have you already done this?

I am surprised that only with IEM the fader regulates the gain to the patched output what does not function with the Wedge.
    With the wedge it is sent with the PAFL button always directly to the exit, independent of the value of the wedge fader.

Maik

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of NB
    NB
    Participant

Hi Maik
    Thank’s for your reply.

I have looked at this but not tried it in reality since I am currently not at the office.
    I still don’t see how I decide witch Aux goes to any specific output regarding listening!
    Does mono aux by default go to the wedge out and stereo aux to the IEM?

Profile photo of GerMan
    GerMan
    Participant

Hi Niclas,

I/O
    stPAFL L/stPAFL R = wedge (stereo out)
    Wedge = wedge (mono out)
    stIEM L/stIEM R = IEM (stereo out)

It is independent whether In stereo or mono. All channels with active PAFL button are on wedge and IEM. Otherwise the main signal is to be heard there optionally (see screenshot).

Attachments:
    Profile photo of NB
    NB
    Participant

Hi GerMan

I see
    So there is no current possibility to separate the differens listening modes!
    I have worked mostly with DigiCo before and are used to their dual solo bus configuration.
    I’m not sure but I think that Yamaha CL also have this feature.

Profile photo of GerMan
    GerMan
    Participant

Hi Nicklas,
    unfortunately, there I cannot help. Though wedge and IEM are separated outputs, however, there is only one PAFL button per fader.

Maik

Profile photo of NB
    NB
    Participant

Hi
    I understand that there is only one button and that is fine.
    What I would like to do is when I have selected an Aux Master somehow be able to select witch solo bus that Aux is going to.
    See the attached picture från a DigiCo console as an example.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

@NB,
    That is possible. Depending on which virtual bus you assign an Aux master to (IEM or Wedge), when you PAFL it, it will automatically mute the other. The PAFL bus is effectively the same, but one or the other output is auto muted for your convenience. So as you noticed in the template Shows, mono Auxes are assigned to Wedge (and will mute IEM), stereo Auxes are assigned to IEM (and will mute Wedge). To assign, follow the same procedure you use for any other bus i.e. press Mix on IEM, hold down Assign and press Mix on the masters you want to assign to it.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of NB
    NB
    Participant

Hi Nicola

Thank’s for your reply.
    I will check this out when I’m back at the office later today.

Profile photo of GerMan
    GerMan
    Participant

@nicola,

one still learns. 🙂
    I have tested it once more. Wedge is sent directly to the PAFL L/R outputs. (!?)
    Only IME outputs are regulated with the IEM fader value.
    Why is this thus?

Maik

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

The PFL outputs are the raw output of the PFL bus (no fader control).
    The Wedge fader controls the Wedge output.
    The IEM fader controls the IEM output.
    Both the Wedge and IEM outputs are sourced from the PFL bus so, in terms of audio signal, it’s the same. The only difference is the fader and mute control (and the fact that you can automate their mute on pressing a master PAFL, depending on what masters you assign to them).
    Have a look at the bottom of the block diagram, page 93 of the firmware reference guide.

Profile photo of NB
    NB
    Participant

Hi
    Thank’s for a lot of useful responses.
    I have been very bussy the last couple of days so I haven’t been able to test anything on the actual console yet.

But while we have this dusussion I would like to extend the question a little!
    It’s all good that there is a possibility to separate Wedge and IEM listening.
    What do I do in those cases where I use stereo wedges?
    I know that there is the possibility to ad more PAFL buses in the MixRack setup but how di I route to the after that.
    I can’t find the under the Surface settings and the Mon tab

Nicklas Bengtsson
    TylösandSound
    SWEDEN

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.