Waves Tracks Live Virtual Soundcheck Issues

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive troubleshooting Waves Tracks Live Virtual Soundcheck Issues

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of WLCC WLCC 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WLCC
    WLCC
    Participant

Hello All,

Our church recently purchased and installed a dDlive C-class system, CDM48 & C3500. Wow, what an amazing setup. We have had one rehearsal last Monday and today was our first service. Monday I recorded rehearsal and have been working with virtual soundcheck through our Waves V3 card with Waves Tracks Live software. Monday all was well, everything worked and played back perfectly. Today, however, while trying to playback today’s tracks after service the recordings were full of clicks, pops, and distortion. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

It’s likely a clocking issue.

Chris

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

What are your recording to? PC or Mac? What O/S are you running? What cables are you using? As Chris said, above, it might be a clocking issue. Or it might be a cable issue, an O/S issue, a hard drive issue or a Soundgrid buffer issue. Have you called Waves?

Profile photo of WLCC
    WLCC
    Participant

I thought it was most likely a clocking issue, I just don’t know what I am missing with the configuration though. A week ago today was the install and everything was working perfectly. If I open up my session from last week everything plays back perfectly right now. However, when I open up my session from yesterday, everything is distorted, popping, etc.

I am recording to an i5 iMac with 12gig of ram with the latest os High Sierra installed. The waves V3 card is connected directly to the iMac via shielded cat6. I am recording to an external hard drive connected to the firewire 800 bus.

I have not called Waves yet but am planning to do so if I cannot get this figured out soon.

Thanks for your help.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

I am recording to an i5 iMac with 12gig of ram with the latest os High Sierra installed. The waves V3 card is connected directly to the iMac via shielded cat6. I am recording to an external hard drive connected to the firewire 800 bus.

I can see 2 issues here that might be causing problems. First, High Sierra can be very problematic with Soundgrid. The result of using High Sierra? Popping and cracking. Downgrade to Sierra and see if that fixes it. I had to and my problems instantly vanished.

The second issue might be the external hard drive? Is it a spinning drive or an SSD? If spinning, 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm?

Profile photo of WLCC
    WLCC
    Participant

It is a spinning drive operating at 7200 rpm. I am in the process of downgrading to Sierra and will try that out first thing.

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

One other item to check …

Do you let the iMac go to sleep and wake back up with Soundgrid running (intentionally or accidentally)? If I let my MacBook go to sleep with it running, I have all kinds of clock/playback issues with it and have to reboot. If I shut down everything related to SG, then sleep is fine.

Jay

Profile photo of WLCC
    WLCC
    Participant

Yes Jay, I have let it go to sleep with Soundgrid running. After I setup the computer for use with the dLive, I never changed the settings beyond the factory default configuration. I will try this as well after I finish reverting the OS back to Sierra.

Profile photo of WLCC
    WLCC
    Participant

Hi all,

I wanted to post a follow up and let you all know that the issue has been resolved. First of all, I reverted the iMac back to OS Sierra. The SoundGrid app is not supported on OS High Sierra. Secondly, it appears that I had the wrong settings with the Waves card driver. The driver is now set at 96k with its source selected as digital, in other words it is looking at the Dlive for its clocks source. I am also running TracksLive at 96k as well and all is now good. Thanks for your input on helping me resolve this issue.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Glad it’s all working well for you now!

Profile photo of Lishinsky
    Lishinsky
    Participant

Actually i have the same problem when recording from the C3500 thru the Waves card. recording is always corrupted.
    when I’m recording on the same computer from my S7000 thru Waves Card it works as it should.

WLCC! if the problem was incompatibility with high sierra then how come your first recording was fine??

are you sure your problem is fixed??

Eli Lishinsky

Profile photo of WLCC
    WLCC
    Participant

I have been using this setup for recording rehearsals and services for the past two weeks and everything has been working without fail, thus far. When I called Waves regarding the problem that I was experiencing, one of their first questions was regarding my operating system. I was stopped right there and asked to use an operating system that they support. So to go any further with Waves in troubleshooting my issue, I had to revert to Sierra from High Sierra.

After I had done so, I tested everything out things have been working perfectly.

There was one additional change I made while troubleshooting this issue though. I had previously been trying to run the card at 48k. I figured that this was more than adequate for my recording purposes. However, I had the dLive system set to run at 96k. It was my experience that I could not select the “digital” clock source for the Waves card when the two are not running at the same rate though. To me this makes sense, the Waves card cannot be slaved to console clock if they are not running at the same rate. I believe for the sake of playback through virtual soundcheck that the clock rate and source need to be the same.

My tracks recorded while running the card at 48K played back in a standalone DAW running at 48K without a problem. In other words, the tracks had been recorded cleanly. It is though playing them back through virtual soundcheck that they are mis-clocked and therefore full of digital artifacts.

This has been my experience and the resolution that I had found. After reverting to Sierra from High Sierra, I never finished troubleshooting with Waves due to finding an apparent solution the problem I was experiencing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.