Vote for output polarity, de-esser, decouple GEQs on stereo

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Vote for output polarity, de-esser, decouple GEQs on stereo

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of oleg_naumenko
    oleg_naumenko
    Participant

Thank You creators of this small wonder Qu16!

Here are Your committed user’s wishes for a software/firmware update:

– please add polarity switch for outputs. The reason for this is simple: let’s be honest, it’s a console for low to mid budget usage, where it’s possible to have different systems and standards combined, for example, I may have combination of PA, monitor line 1 & 2 comprised of different speaker & amp types and quality, with or without option to quickly change the polarity elsewhere. There are situations where You know the polarity must be inverted for proper subsystem coupling. For example, what if I found polarity is reversed somewhere, by measuring? I would be able to quickly change this from the console.

– de-esser as input dynamics option, for example, instead if gate (You don’t usually need gate on vocals when You need de-esser on them!) So this dyn section might be switchable between gate and de-esser. But please be it the real de-esser, not the iLive one! Also when I need de-esser I think I would rarely need a ducker, so there is room for improvement wherever You see more fit.

– ability to unlink GEQ on stereo outputs. Again, in low-budget we often have Left And Right sounding slightly different, for different reasons! There is another PA each day for some of us and no guarantee it sounds symmetrically. Need some freedom for different GEQ curve between L and R.

Re: Qu-Pad:

– Please make input gain sliders more responsive and precise. It must be easier to adjust gain just a couple of dB’s. There is room to make them wider, I am sure this will help.

– Please add the ability to edit Effects that are inserted in inputs and not returning to any FX inputs! (or am I missing it somewhere already available?)

– When swiping the fader layer left or right there is probability to hit the “ON” button instead, which may cost You another job sometimes. Why not make “On” button respond only when touch on it if finished without motion, as standard iOS button does?

– Make Qu-Pad remember and suggest the last console connected right at start even though connection was not using DHCP and only static IP addresses. I mean, there must be less steps before the app is connected to console and running, in that case.

Other than that – thank You for awesome product!

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Re: Qu-Pad:

– Please make input gain sliders more responsive and precise. It must be easier to adjust gain just a couple of dB’s. There is room to make them wider, I am sure this will help.

THIS CAPABILITY ALREADY EXISTS. SEE THE HELP MENU ON THE APP.

– Please add the ability to edit Effects that are inserted in inputs and not returning to any FX inputs! (or am I missing it somewhere already available?)

YES, YOU CAN ALREADY DO THIS.

– When swiping the fader layer left or right there is probability to hit the “ON” button instead, which may cost You another job sometimes. Why not make “On” button respond only when touch on it if finished without motion, as standard iOS button does?

SIMPLY GET IN THE HABIT OF SWIPING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN. THIS IS MERELY A USER SKILL ISSUE.

– Make Qu-Pad remember and suggest the last console connected right at start even though connection was not using DHCP and only static IP addresses. I mean, there must be less steps before the app is connected to console and running, in that case.

QU-PAD HAS NO MEMORY IN AND OF ITSELF. IT IS MERELY A CONTROL SURFACE.

Other than that – thank You for awesome product!

oleg_naumenko
    Participant

Hi Dick Rees, thank You for Your answer.

But… I hope You are not A-H support engineer and was just passing by! Caps lock means I am too dumb?

Re: “On” buttons “SIMPLY GET IN THE HABIT OF SWIPING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN. THIS IS MERELY A USER SKILL ISSUE.”

– no, this is indeed a bug since default behavior of UIButton in UIScrollView manages this for You and programmer has to unintentionally disable this function to behave the way it currently does. Sorry for my Objective-C…
    Button should not react once scrolling began – it’s default setting in iOS.

Re: QU-PAD HAS NO MEMORY IN AND OF ITSELF. IT IS MERELY A CONTROL SURFACE.

– On the contrary, Qu Pad has it’s own memory since it’s an iOS app! Moreover, it somehow is able to remember static IP I entered previously. The matter is it takes too much taps to connect to my saved static IP address, on each app start.

All in all I just made suggestions!

Re: other points You answered: I will take time to find out more, than You.

Dick Rees
    Participant

The iPad or other iOs device has the memory for networking information, not the app.
    Any issues involved in connecting/identifying the network is independent of the app and a property of the settings in your router and your iOs device. The app has nothing to do with it.

oleg_naumenko
    Participant

Dick, thank You for Your answer

Re: Less steps before getting to My IP address (Remembering my choice): I think I explained properly what I want, but I will elaborate:

Here is My routine every time I want to connect to my console:

1. open QuPad
    2. swipe down to “Other…” in a list of “Demo, Other…”
    3. tap “Other…”
    4. tap “Connect”
    5. Dialogue with my console IP address (192.168.0.64) appears (so it remembers it) and I tap “Ok” – now I am connected

Which could be down to having this IP address in the list, like this: “Demo, IP: 192.168.0.64, Other…”, and list itself being more accessible.

1. open QuPad
    2. select “IP: 192.168.0.64” in a list without having to swipe down to it
    3. tap “Connect” and get connected

Just a minimal User Experience suggestion. In general Allen Heath iPad apps will benefit some GUI logic enhancement, I think many will agree with me.

Re: Mute and On buttons while scrolling:

iLive Mixpad has this done correctly – check out. Scrolling does not change button state even when started upon the button.

Re: Gain slider precision –

Yes I know it’s distance sensitive. It would help to understand each other better before answering. I wanted wider slider because there is a space available and I want it less covered with my finger when starting using it. When You are playing with app at home current slider is ok but once You are in real concert scenario it’s not very easy to use, rather scary to touch at all. Same iLive MixPad has bigger slider despite it’s distance/precision dependent too. Input Gain is one of the core and most powerful parameters so deserves bigger/better control. It’s just my opinion.

I’ve got one more suggestion: To make this model really stand out of alike products on the market “Key – In Filtering” could be added to input gate. This would make Qu a killer for less-than-perfect drum setups.

P.S. Where is my, “Oleg, thank You for helping us make our products better!” ?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Hmmm – Connecting to iPad is easier for me the way I’ve got it set up. Can’t tell you exactly how, as I’m nowhere near a mixer at the moment. Are there several things connected to your router? I run a network(s) dedicated to the Qu only; each desk has its own WiFi router. So provided I connect to the correct network, which 99% of the time happens automatically, I just see eg. Demo & Qu-Pack as my options when I start up the app.

Agree about the size of the gain slider, it would be better if it were bigger.

Also the buttons & scrolling issue still gets me occasionally, and is a problem I could do without, especially when a band has their own sound person who’s not used the app before.

An effects edit button on the channel processing page, when FX is inserted, or assigned as Channel>Return, would be handy too.

De-esser, multi band compression, and side chains have been on the wish list for a long time………….

Mark

oleg_naumenko
    Participant

Mark,

Re: Connecting to iPad is easier for me the way I’ve got it set up.

– That’s because You probably having it configured automatically via DHCP, I agree that this mode is intuitive enough. I am connecting through Access point so no DHCP, in which case, static IP is used. I just wanted more convenience for static IP users.

No I am just having Qu16 and uPad connected to my access point. Works like charm btw!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Even if you do use static IPs, your Qu should be visible right in the list with its name (probably Qu16 if you never changed it). Can’t remember to ever need to enter the IP address of my mixers (and they are at fixed IP addresses, as I always suggest).
    Sounds like your WiFi is on a different IP subnet than your Mixer and your AP is configured to route packets between those segments. Is this required? I’d suggest to just extend the mixer LAN to WiFi (same IP subnet), then you will have direct access to your desk from the selection box, no need to go through others.

oleg_naumenko
    Participant

My devices are in the same subnet. iPad: 192.168.0.70, Qu16: 192.168.0.64.
    My Wifi does not have it’s own subnet, it uses IP Qu16 provides, because it’s an access point, not a router.
    Maybe, that’s the reason?

Don’t have access point in reach currently but can assure You it’s using default settings just after reset.
    However I will check AP settings again to make sure there is no custom setting that could interfere.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Oleg…

No offense, but almost all of your issues are either already available or will become easier with practice. I had feelings similar to yours when I first started mxing from the remote app, but with practice things clicked into place. Additionally, the app keeps getting better with each update, so progress is being made.

The networking issues are outside the realm of the product and involve iOs device and router or WAP. I would much rather A&H devote their time and efforts to actual feature development.

If you want a user app with larger controls there is an Android app by David Giga which may fulfill all your screen layout and control requirements.

Good luck.

Dick Rees
    Participant

“Re: Gain slider precision –

Yes I know it’s distance sensitive. It would help to understand each other better before answering. I wanted wider slider because there is a space available and I want it less covered with my finger when starting using it. When You are playing with app at home current slider is ok but once You are in real concert scenario it’s not very easy to use, rather scary to touch at all. Same iLive MixPad has bigger slider despite it’s distance/precision dependent too. Input Gain is one of the core and most powerful parameters so deserves bigger/better control. It’s just my opinion.”

Your trouble here is that you’re thinking that you have to place your finger on the “slider” when touching ANY part of the field will select and activate the adjustment function. Try touching the field at the far right side to activate, then move your finger as needed to make the adjustment and regulate the rate of response. You’ll find it works quite well and does not obscure the readout.

Good luck. Practice helps…

oleg_naumenko
    Participant

>>>
    Your trouble here is that you’re thinking that you have to place your finger on the “slider” when touching ANY part of the field will select and activate the adjustment function. Try touching the field at the far right side to activate, then move your finger as needed to make the adjustment and regulate the rate of response. You’ll find it works quite well and does not obscure the readout.
    >>>

I’m for some 18 years in business and have seen lots of user interfaces, even built some.
    I know exactly what You are explaining and still have the feeling I described. I am not a new user so my suggestions are not first experience rant. Please understand that I have the right to speak out my point of view here, that’s what this board is for.

I agree however that my network/IP issue needs checking which I will do and report.

Cheers.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Yes, of course using the app becomes easier with practice. No reason not to make it as user friendly as it can be though.

Sometimes a band will have a sound Tech with them who may not be that familiar with Qu desks*, or I may have a new assistant who’s mixing their first real live show. I want them to have as few problems as possible.

* Or they may turn out to work for A&H & know the system better than me!

Dick Rees
    Participant

Mark…

Yes, there’s always room for improvement. However, Oleg states his fingers obscure the feature he’s trying to adjust. For anyone else following the thread it is important to note that his problem is one of unfamiliarity with the app rather than a problem with the app itself. It is entirely possible to adjust the sliders with the display in full view and unobscured by your fingers.

So the basic premise here seems to be faulty and a “solution in search of a problem”. I hope Oleg finds a solution, but for anyone else who’s interested the sliders on the app work just fine if you understand how to use them properly.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I would like QuPad to remember a few things:
    – Which console it was connected to (so it automatically reconnects unless it was actually logged out)
    – The last used password (until the app is shut down or the console is logged out)

– A library of custom layers would also be really useful (I do one regular band, and then other gigs – so I have to rebuild my regular band custom layers – much easier to just recall them)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.