Volume jumps or drops when fader moves past 10

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Volume jumps or drops when fader moves past 10

This topic contains 29 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giga Giga 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Can you upload the videos to youtube?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Is it possible the pot you’re turning is bad ? Do you use that same pot for other functions too and if so does that work ok ?

Giga

Profile photo of AudioWorks
    AudioWorks
    Participant

I thought about that too but the mixer has 24 faders. The eq has 32 bands so there are bands outside the range of the faders. The knob works perfect on those bands. It is the ones with faders that move that have the issues.

AudioWorks
    Participant

https://youtu.be/8Ud-Yv4xFiY should have the video “A&H Qu-24 Flying Faders” is the title.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

well …. yes that looks an issue to me.
    And the other faders don’t replicate that jumping?
    A video is equal to a lot of words?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Interesting…

On the qu16 you get the full 31 bands in two pages of the fader flip, I imagine the 24 does the same (with the first 7 being doubled up)

Does seem an odd motion. Can you bring the GEQ up on screen without it being on the faders and try the same movement

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Do a hard reset of the board per the instructions in the manual.

GEQ fader flip has two settings to cover the full number of bands as pointed out above.

I think your trouble-shooting is compromised by your imagination…

Dick Rees
    Participant

OK, I looked at the YouTube vid.

I think what is happening is that you’ve got two control protocols (GEQ on faders/control knob) fighting each other sort of like when you try to use both faders of linked channels making the motorized faders fight you and chatter.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Yup, pretty sure the problem is “mixed signals”. Here’s a screen shot of the manual.

To use the knob as your control you need only touch the appropriate band on the GEQ screen to engage the control knob, make your adjustment and lather, rinse, repeat.

In fader control mode you must use the faders. The control knob is not to be used when in fader control mode…apparently.

Note the statement regarding the GEQ fields over-lapping. You don’t need to use the knob to access the full number of bands.

It is tempting to file this under “OE”, but I can see how you might encounter this if you had either not read the manual or misinterpreted it. I’ll grant that the wording in the manual leaves room for misinterpretation.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dick Rees
    Participant

AW…

OK, I just powered up my Qu-16 to try to replicate your problem and could not find any way to get it to “jump”…no way at all. This leads me to suspect some corruption in the OS. I suggested a hard reset, the usual first step to try to eliminate anomalous behavior. Still recommnded.

If a hard reset doesn’t work, the next step is downlad a fresh, new copy of the firmware and re-install. If the problem persists, open a support ticket and you’ll get help directly from the Mother Ship.

One question, though:

When you turn your console off, do you do the Home>Shutdown>Yes procedure and wait for the “OKto shut down” screen notice or do you just hit the power button? The answer is important…

AudioWorks
    Participant

Always go yo home screen to shut down before pushing the power button. I will back up as much as I can before doing the hard reset. I’ll let you know. Thanks for all the info.

AudioWorks
    Participant

The hard reset was the answer. Not only did it fix the things I knew were issues but many other smaller things. The big change is now the meter levels look like you would expect. Before, the meters all worked but didn’t seem all that useful as compared to other boards I’ve worked on. The fader issues only added to the confusion. Like the channel signal meter would show signal and very seldom flash 0. Even when the preamp was flashing red. It’s funny how my eyes would over rule my ears. I wasn’t my favorite board for mixing. Now, with the meters and faders all working correctly, I am really impressed! It sounds all new.
    Thanks to all the great minds for your help.

PS My picture is of an Allen & Heath Model 2. It is a mid 70’s, hand built desk. Each input is dated by the tester. Silver trace circuit boards, all discrete components, and transformer coupled inputs. Makes for nice recordings.

Dick Rees
    Participant

There you go. No feeling quite like successful trouble-shooting.

I see you’re a studio guy. In live sound world we have to deal with such issues on the spot and a hard reset is no biggie. Keeping back-ups on a thumb drive or two and keeping them current is handy.

Have fun.

AudioWorks
    Participant

“I think your trouble-shooting is compromised by your imagination…”

Now that’s a line worth stealing, Thanks

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

@ Dick: I never thought about that suggestion re backup drives in case of an emergency. ( never needed it fortunately). One thumbdrive with the OS and one with scenes/shows both formatted through the desk ?

Thanks !

Giga

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.