Vocal effect/EQ scene files

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Vocal effect/EQ scene files

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CD
    CD
    Participant

Hi guys,
    Fairly new to the QU SB world but I just cant seem to get a good vocal effect.
    I use reverbs & a little delay on my vocals but nothing really stands out for me.
    Im also struggling with my vocals not projecting enough in the mix.

I was wondering if there is people who are willing to share their vocal effect & EQ file. I’d love to see what people are using and how they are setting things up. I’d love if you would share your scenes with me so I can plug them into my SB and compare.

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

An EQ setting is not a one size fits all type of thing. Starting at differences in the vocal mic, and more so the type of sound system and how that is set up and processed will make a big difference on EQ setting, so someone saying what EQ settings work for them is just a guess what it would do for you.

In general you want to high pass filter vocal mic channels around a 100hz, maybe higher depending on the voice and mic and do not over compress, EQ or add too much FX level to the vocal channel.

Keep in mind if you are assigning any channel to an audio group and that group is assigned to the main LR mix you need to un-assign those channels at the channel from
    the main LR mix, if not you will some slight phasing issues when the direct audio path
    from the channel and the audio path through the combine at the LR mix buss.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

You’d be most welcome to try “my” settings but I’m not really sure what to copy for you (from the stick I suppose ?)

Giga

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You’d be most welcome to try “my” settings but I’m not really sure what to copy for you (from the stick I suppose ?)

You can do a couple different things.
    – Store a scene that includes your setting, transfer that to a USB, it will be in the scene folder as a file, you can email that file.

-Easier would be to save your favorite vocal channel eq in the eq library, save that library file the USB, and from the USb you could email the file.

I want to also add to my original post another big factor is the room the system is set up in as to overall EQ settings.

“CD”
    If you do receive some scene files to try you may want to apply some recall filters or blocks to the file so your mixer does not completely reconfigure itself when you recall the test scene.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@CD

you talking about a person orating alone for vocals as in speech
    or do you mean a singer singing with music too?

is this live or for a recording like on a CD ?

For a mix lowering the faders on the music helps a lot to help the vocals stand out and
    depending on what you have mixed then some appropriate EQ could help too.
    You might also need compression on the vocals if the DR is too wide.

The EQ file depends on the room, mikes, and what instruments are playing
    One size fits nobody.

Profile photo of CD
    CD
    Participant

Totally understand that the EQ is not a one fit all situation… I was just curious on how to make the vocals stand out in a live mix.

Im not sure if its an EQ problem or an effects problem. I also use backing tracks but my vocals seem to get lost in the mix. I didnt ever have this problem with my old analog desk.

I really appreciate your feedback

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@CD

I told you what to do.

Lower the gain on the music. That helps hear the singer better.
    If the singer DR is too much then add compression on the singer too.

If the music and the singer share frequencies then EQ out the music there by a few dB in that range too.

Do not use reverb or delay on the singer until you have got those other things done.
    Then if you really must, add some spice with other fx, but beware because too much spice will ruin the stew.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Totally understand that the EQ is not a one fit all situation… I was just curious on how to make the vocals stand out in a live mix.

Im not sure if its an EQ problem or an effects problem. I also use backing tracks but my vocals seem to get lost in the mix. I didnt ever have this problem with my old analog desk.

Do you have live instruments playing along with the tracks or is it tracks only with live vocals?

With a digital mixer you have a lot more ways,tools and options available to enhance or
    just flat out screw things up!
    Actually with a full a analog system with various insert processing and FX units it can go both ways as well.

Post a clip of some recorded audio so we can here what is going on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.