Vocal distortion FX

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Vocal distortion FX

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Roy Roy 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Hi all

One of my bands is performing Lonely Boy by the Black Keys, in which the lead vocal has a distortion effect (imagine a megaphone effect, but at roughly 20% wet). Is something like this possible using the FX on my QU16? Anyone try anything similar.

Many thanks in advance.

Roy

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I think I would split his mic signal, dial in a megaphone eq setting on that second vox channel and then mix and match as needed.

Giga

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Agree on the EQ. A good starting point is to raise your HPF to 400 and shelve off your highs down to between 3K and 3.4K. This is the “telephone bandwidth” EQ.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Edit above:

Since you don’t have a LPF on the PEQ, use these settings instead along with the high shelf.

High shelf: set @ 10K and 15dB down

Add filter: width 3/4 @ 5.8K and 7.5dB down

That’s about as close as you can get.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

As this is for an effect, you can also boost the middle range bit that you do want, a big “lump” somewhere around 1kHz seemed to work well for something similar I wanted.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

And as an add-on maybe compress the hell out of it and/or use a ridiculously high gainsetting to introduce some distortion ?

Giga

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Thanks guys. Will be playing with these suggestions tomorrow. Have a week to get it refined.

Your help is very much appredicted.
    Roy

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I had a similar requirement and think I got some value out of adding a phaser effect (would need to fire up the desk and load the scene (I want an offline editor dammit)) as well…

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Thanks Bob. If you ever get 5 minutes to fire up the desk I’d be interested to know the settings.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.