Virtual soundcheck requirement

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Virtual soundcheck requirement

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of devanbumstead devanbumstead 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of perage
    perage
    Participant

Hi,
    We have just got an approval to replace our current Yamaha LS9-32 mixer with a dLive C3500 in our church. We’re not that many engineers and most of them are quite inexperienced. The VS function seems to be a genius one the get our team a lot better, so I’m just curious of what the requirements to use it is?

If we for example wanted to record a session with 32-48 channels and use that set to practice another day – what do we need? PC, soundcards and extension cards, or is it possible to do so with just a USB stick?

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

Hi, you can only record a stereo mix on usb……

For VS, you’d need a pc/mac/with some rec software like reaper/protools etc (or a JoeCo box) … with either a dante/madi/soundgrid interface and a madi /dante/soundgrid card on the dlive

RayS

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Where the Dante interface on the PC side is the easiest and cheapest, as far as I know. It’s just a software (Dante virtual soundcard) for 30 bucks. Interfaces for dLive is the “expensive” things. And they are all more or less the same prize…

Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

We run a similar setup at our church with the dante interface card. works a treat, and pretty easy for a bunch of volunteers to setup as well. we have protools for the VS; however we also record direct into garage band (no judgment please) for simple stuff. would do the job for a simple practise setup.

Profile photo of perage
    perage
    Participant

Nice! We look like to find a cheap, but working solution as it will only be used for training engineers. We already have a Mac mini, so if Garage band works, it will suffice! Do you need both Dante card at dLive and data virtual interface on the Mac, or only one of them?

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Both is required. dLive card to get Dante out of the system and Dante virtual soundcard to get the audio stream into the computer. If you are looking into a recording app, I would recommend tracks live from Waves. It’s for free and gives you all you need…

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

I’m using Waves Tracks Live to record from my iLive and it’s working great. I decided to go with the A&H Waves card as it allows simultaneous recording and plug-ins.
    -Mark

Profile photo of devanbumstead
    devanbumstead
    Participant

I’m looking to do this too but we’re hoping to record at 96kHz so we can’t use DVS. We have planned to use the Focusrite RedNet PCIeR card loaded in a Sonnet Echo Express SE1 to hook up to a iMac. We will have the 128×128 Dante card in our C3500 as well. The big question I still have is how “beefy” this computer needs to be to handle between 48-55 inputs at 96kHz? Recording into Logic. Anyone have experience here?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’m looking to do this too but we’re hoping to record at 96kHz so we can’t use DVS.

What makes you say that? DVS supports up to 192khz.

No Compromise Performance – It’s Dante
    Dante Virtual Soundcard delivers the legendary audio quality that has made Dante the leading choice for audio networking by sound engineers, manufacturers and installers the world over.

Windows: ASIO and WDM drivers
    macOS: Core Audio integration
    16, 24 and 32-bit audio at 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4** and 192** kHz
    4ms, 6ms and 10ms fixed latencies
    Ultra precision time alignment (1 μsec)
    Up to 64×64 bidirectional audio channels
    Supports Dante Domain Manager

devanbumstead
    Participant

Can’t do 64 channels at 96k. Only 32.

We will have around 50 channels.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ah, I see.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

Nice! We look like to find a cheap, but working solution as it will only be used for training engineers. We already have a Mac mini, so if Garage band works, it will suffice! Do you need both Dante card at dLive and data virtual interface on the Mac, or only one of them?

Our dLive Dante card came with a bundled license of Dante Virtual Soundcard.

And seriously don’t use Garage Band, Reaper is free to try and practically free after that.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

@devanbumstead

Check with Focusrite for recommendation on PC hardware. But generally speaking, use a dedicated SSD drive for multitrack recording (separate from the OS drive).
    Personally I would avoid Logic. It’s notoriously taxing on resources with multitrack recording. Use Reaper / Tracks Live / Nuendo Live then move to Logic for editing if that’s your thing.

devanbumstead
    Participant

Thanks for the tip!! I’ll look to bypass Logic for the recording purpose.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.