Virtual soundcheck level difference between local and usb drive

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Virtual soundcheck level difference between local and usb drive

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stephen Stephen 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    when i do virtual soundcheck i got the impression that there’s something like 3 to 6 db difference between the signal i receive in local and the signal i play when the source is changed to usb drive multitrack. The usb multitrack is louder, if i want the same volume at the front between real live and virtual i have to adjust the master fader.
    I record the multitrack with the post preamp parameter / direct outputs (i don’t remember exactly the name i don’t have the mixer next to me right now), my local gains are adjusted for each channels depending on the instruments and mics, and the usb gain is at 0 on each channels.

Do you experience that also or am i forgetting something …

Thanks for your help.
    Stephen.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

My experience also. I don’t really care as I think it’s always best practice to treat each input as a seperate entity. I.e. gainstage it for itself and not some other input.

Giga

Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

Thanks for your answer.
    For the virtual soundcheck, i need to have the local signal to be the same level as the qu drive playback mainly for setting the compressor treshold correctly.

Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

Hello, me, again.
    So i’ve just tested with the qu16 and a mic.
    The level i read in pafl is the same when i compare “live local with gain set” and “playback qu drive with usb gain at zero”.
    That is good news, but then why do i feel the volume difference in the front.
    Any idea ? Is it my imagination ? πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Hi Stephen,

when I first got my QU-16 in 2014 I had a very brief spell of trying out the virtual soundcheck option, didn’t work for me either as the volume differences when switching over to USB were quite stark. So I never pursued with it and continue with the tried & trusted method.

It is handy for adjusting EQ’s etc.

πŸ™‚

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

What do you use as your “direct out source” ?

Giga

Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

Thanks Lee7.
    Giga, i’m not sure what you mean, the qu drive record the signal post preamp. In I/O patch Usb audio the Ch source is Insert sends. Does that answer your question ?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Which means you’ve recorded everything pre insertpoint. That’s probably where your volume difference is coming from. Try “direct outs” instead πŸ‘

Giga

Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

Thanks Giga.
    I just tried, there’s now a difference of 3db when i read the meter with the channel in pafl.
    The local is 3db more than the qu drive on the meter.
    So it could be a good change in the end … but then i wonder about the behavior of the treshold for the compressor if the level he receives is different from local or usb.
    Just so you understand why all that : we don’t have a sound guy, so we set the mix and then we play. I need my virtual soundcheck to be as close as possible to the real live.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Well, if you know the difference is 3 dB you can bump up the gain of the recorded signal and make your adjustments. Just don’t forget to decrease the gain(s) by 3 dB after you’ve finished your virtual soundcheck. That’s how I would do it.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

So,
    after reading the manual again and trying to follow the signal chain on the block diagram of the QU16, here’s what i understand, when you choose direct outs you’re then depending on the shared routing configuration for all channels : you have to choose if the direct out is post preamp, post EQ … and if you follow fader and follow mute.
    Let’s say you want to use that to record on the qu drive, then you want to configure post preamp and you don’t want to follow fader and mute … in the end you end up with the same thing as choosing “insert sends” for the usb recording.
    “Insert sends” is the solution they recommend for live recording in the manual.
    This way you can keep and configure direct outs for FX3 and 4 for example.

Anyway, thanks for helping me thinking about all this.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.