Virtual Soundcheck Doesn’t Translate. Help?

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Virtual Soundcheck Doesn’t Translate. Help?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Msmith0325
    Msmith0325
    Participant

Hey Guys,

First time posting here. I’m trying to use virtual soundcheck to really dial in our setup, but the mixes are not translating. Any ideas? Vocals feel digitized when playing through VSC, and there’s nothing pleasing above 2kish.

After I run VSC and get a mix dialed, when I switch back to a live band it doesn’t sound nearly the same, specifically the low end.

Hopefully somebody can chime in here, I’m going crazy.

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

If you are running stage monitors and are in a smaller space, that could effect what you are hearing as well. You will also be missing any sound from the actual guitar amplifiers on stage too. This can cause the recorded tracks to sound more sterile in some cases since you are eliminating much of the bleed from the stage.

Msmith0325
    Participant

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the reply. We have a 1000 seat (theater style chairs) room. No wedges, only in ears. And amps sit in an iso cab outside of the main room. It’s definitely an issue outside of the room. Even when I pull tracks into pro tools I have no low end and the vocals sounds terrible.

Thanks again!

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

How are you recording and playing back into the system?

Msmith0325
    Participant

RS,

It is done Via Waves M Card and Multirack Soundgrid.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Sorry, then I am of no help, probably. A Dante guy here…

But what you describe sounds like a mismatch between your recording device and the dLive. Something like sample rate/ synch.
    Could you check the tracks just out of the computer via headphone? Just to make sure they where recorded right?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I agree. Check the tracks with your headphones on the computer to see if they sound normal. That will determine if the issue is with the recording or the playback at least.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Where in the channel’s audio chain are you picking up the output for recording?

It should be directly after the pre-amp. If it’s later in the signal chain, then you’re getting double-processing which will impact the sound.

Msmith0325
    Participant

Thanks for the responses, guys! So, yes, I’ve checked via headphones multiple times. We do a lot with multi track stuff and I always have to overdub the vocals and sample the crap out of drums because of this issue. And yes, its directly out of the tie lines, so it’s post pre amp, but before everything else.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

We do a lot with multi track stuff and I always have to overdub the vocals and sample the crap out of drums because of this issue.

Don’t get, what this sentence has to do with your problem?
    But anyways. If the recording sounds ok straight out of the computer over headphones, then the problem seems to be the way you play back into dLive. But there is still some important info missing:
    what software, what are the settings, sample rate, buffer, bit size, what operating system, connection between console and computer

Msmith0325
    Participant

The point is that it’s in the recording, not just in VSC. Whether it’s on headphones, DAW, or VSC, its the same problem.

As far as the other details, I’ve used both Pro Tools and Tracks Live. 96k, 1024, iMac – 3.4 i7, 16GB. The connections is a cat 5 from the waves card straight to the computer.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

You haven’t said yet where your pick-off point is on the dLive going to the Waves card on each channel? Normally you would set it to be pre everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Call me what you want but I’ve never heard a virtual soundcheck relate to the actual live performance. Physics are just not there. It should be obvious. I personally think it’s pretty much useless but that’s just me.

Msmith0325
    Participant

Mr. X, the pickoff point is just after the preamp, before everything else.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

And PFL-ing the channel on the console, channels sound normal?
    If so, then clearly something’s wrong with your DAW software, DAW software settings, drivers, driver settings, or the Waves card. Start swapping till you find the cause.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.