virtual sound check

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions virtual sound check

This topic contains 17 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giga Giga 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Steven18
    Steven18
    Participant

Hello, I am the proud owner for a short time of a QU-PAC, before I had a line 6 M20D very good in its functionality, but unreliable and buggy.
    it had however an essential function the Virtual sound check. Could you in a future update integrate this function which is really practical and which allows musicians to put down their instruments and come and listen to what is happening in front of the sound system and if necessary correct the equalization, compression, mixing etc. .. live without having played the instrument, just press play and listen with colleagues …
    I hope that I will be answered. thanking you in advance.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @steven18

It works in a slightly different way to the M20D, but this functionality already exists in the Qu with Qu-Drive.
    I noticed your comment that it looked complicated on the other thread though, so perhaps that’s why you’re making a suggestion?
    It’s very simple once you’ve done it once and maybe setup some SoftKeys to make it even quicker.
    The main points are as follows:

1. Set the USB out record point to ‘Insert Sends’ – to ensure you’re not recording the processing and then playing it back through the same processing
    2. Record some Qu-Drive multitrack with the band playing – record and playback functions can be assigned to some of your many SoftKeys
    3. Switch input sources for the channels to USB/Qu-Drive – note that you can select and switch multiple input sources at once, or you could even store two scenes with recall filters that only change input patching if you wanted to switch patching with Soft Keys too
    4. Playback multitrack and listen/mix
    5. Remember to switch back to the ‘live’ patching before the show!

It’s a similar process if you wanted to use a DAW and record/playback up to 32 channels at once 🙂

Hope this helps!
    Keith.

Steven18
    Participant

thank you very much Keith ! i will try to apply this i thought it was achievable but had no idea how to do it.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@keith

I once looked into using this feature but found when switching the local inputs to USB, the individual channel trim/gains reverted to 0db and did not mirror their original values when set to local input. So I assume you would have to manually copy those values over otherwise the mix would be all over the place when playing back through FOH? I didn’t check to see if any changes made to the EQ’s whilst in USB mode would carry across when switched back to local inputs?

This would be at least 5 or 6yrs ago when I tried this feature the first & last time.

Cheers
    Lee

Steven18
    Participant

Hello Keith, in which menu should you go to find: “1:Set the USB out record point to ‘Insert Sends’ – to ensure you’re not recording the processing and then playing it back through the same processing”
    thank you very much for your help

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

See pic; secondary page in the channel editor page.

Giga

setup > output patch > usb audio

Steven18
    Participant

super thank you Giga, I’m coming out of a line 6 M20D it was much simpler, but on the other hand not reliable and full of bugs, I will need a time to adapt … I am very happy with my QU -PAC, it sounds better and it does not crash

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Strange, that was definitely not the pic I tried to attach. Here’s the one I meant:

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

And again

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Steven18
    Participant

Thanks a lot Giga I try this…

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Sorry Giga!
    That was me attempting to be helpful after the picture didn’t load before…

It brings up a good point through, you can set the USB output to:
    Insert Sends – this is a unprocessed signal but allows you to use the direct outs separately for ME personal monitoring or FX unit inputs.
    Direct Outs – this allows you to record the channels with processing… or not! Check the direct output source settings that Giga pointed out to see the tap-off point options.

Cheers!
    Keith.

Steven18
    Participant

good evening Giga, Keith, I managed to record but it does not go, when I link with qu-drive, the sound is much less strong, I do not know how to do … pfff complicated for a beginner in sound, if you have a tip or even the solution that would suit me well, thank you very much

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Probably because your trim was too low during recording (see pic). You can check levels via home -> Qu-drive

For now, you can increase the level by increasing the gain in the preamp tab just like you would adjust the level of a regular input.

Better luck next time !

Giga

Attachments:
    Steven18
    Participant

Hello Giga, first of all thank you for your help, leaning on the image you posted, what you have circled on the left is at 0db for me, on the other hand, what you have circled on the right is in post delay and follow fader and mute its on, now that I manage to record I just want the playback to be at the same sound level as when recording … thank you

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

When playing back from USB you have 24 dB either way from zero:

See pic

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.