Video recording with Qu USB input

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Video recording with Qu USB input

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Korban
    Korban
    Participant

Hi there, I’m new to all of this. Due to the pandemic, our church has moved all of our services online. We have been pre-recording some but also live-streaming a few. We have created a makeshift “recording studio” around the iPad we use with a monitor up close for clearest audio possible. But we’ve been told we might be able to do a direct input by using the USB option from our mixer direct into the iPad.

Is this possible? If so, how do I go about doing it? I see options for audio recording, but this is video recording/live-streaming. Can this be done?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Korban

there are lots of outputs from the Qu you could use
    Doesnt the usb give you 18 channels whether you want them or not?
    Can the Ipad handle all of those?

Why not mix in the Qu and send the stereo signal via matrix or aux or other output?

What are the input levels on the Ipad?
    What is the connector?
    what does the software handle?

how do you combine the audio with the video?
    how do you ship the final to utoob or whereever your online viewing is located?

Our church cobbled together an output from the headphone jack to the video stuff.
    [ Brand new volounteer who knew video but not so much the Qu audio:)]
    It works better than what had been tried before. go figure.

I would far prefer a pc with a DAW to trying to use a pad of any sort.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

https://support.allen-heath.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1204

Is this possible? If so, how do I go about doing it? I see options for audio recording, but this is video recording/live-streaming. Can this be done?

I don’t think so, as far as I know there is no USB Audio support for the iPad

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR
    @Korban

there are all sorts of usb adapters for Ipads
    the real question is what can the software in the Ipad do ?

Or the more real question is why use an Ipad instead of a PC with a DAW ?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-connect-usb-devices-to-ipad-1999862

https://www.apple.com/shop/ipad/ipad-accessories/power-cables?fh=4588%2B45b0

https://www.amazon.com/customerpicks/Explore-USB-adapters-for-iPads/880e0dd22b9ea9741dc4

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@Korban
    Depending on what software you are using on your iPad.
    I have recorded digitally via the input on an iPad from a QU
    however ONLY via another mixer being a small ZED 2 track.
    Using the QU analog 2 track output into a small Zed desk. And then USB A-shape from Zed desk into the iPad.
    I have even used a powered 10 meter USB cable and it worked brilliantly.

The QU USB B output is not adjustable to just take a 2 track output.
    In other words, the QU is always sending ALL USB channels wether its 18/24/32

For the iPad, you will need a camera adaptor and make sure it is a powered adaptor as the iPad batteries will drain FAST!
    I have experimented and use the app FilmMic Pro.
    Claimed to be a pro app and it is pretty good.
    A little learning curve though.
    Hope this helps.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@Korban
    The version iPad I have is the older iPad Pro 12inch
    These are USB to Lightning iPad adaptors.
    You will note the earlier one had no power input and apps drain fast.
    However, if your iPad is new it will be USB C input.
    I was going to get a backup Camera adaptor however now I can only find those with
    USB 3, which should not matter.
    Hope this helps.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@steffen R
    Thanks for those links 🙂
    Regards Cheers
    NZdave

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Our church cobbled together an output from the headphone jack to the video stuff.
    [ Brand new volounteer who knew video but not so much the Qu audio:)]
    It works better than what had been tried before. go figure.

Using the headphone out feeds a stereo output via a TRS plug to the 3.5mm stereo TRS camera input.

Using the headphone jack took care and the balanced line phase cancellation you get when taking a balanced line output straight through to a 3.5 TRS stereo camera input jack.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Most stereo recording software at least in my experience seems to pick off
    tracks 1 & 2 when being fed from the multitrack USB output.

In the IO set up menu under the USB tab you can assign the input source to tracks 1 & 2 and unassign all the others, I’m sure it still sends out blank tracks though.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

In the IO set up menu under the USB tab you can assign the input source to tracks 1 & 2 and unassign all the others, I’m sure it still sends out blank tracks though.

No that doesn’t work.
    I tried every conceivable concoction.
    The USB B is fixed
    I actually think that it is fixed on all of the digital mixers?

Korban was wanting to use an iPad
    There is multitrack audio software that works and you can just assign left and right or whatever tracks you wish.
    The thing is with iPads apps are sandboxed and I gave up trying to use the audio app into the Film Mic Pro app or the camera app

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I think that there’s some confusion as to which way the USB signal is going here?

The thread total says input, but I think it’s actually output from the desk that’s wanted.

USB into the desk is fixed on a Qu (though not on all desks, SQ for example). 32 inputs are received via USB B, even if they’re actually silence. The number of these the desk can use depends on which model you have.

USB outputs from the desk are patchable from any input FX return, or output – with extra options for the main outs. 32 outputs are sent from the USB B, which will be “blank” if nothing is patched to them.

The Apple USB camera kit can be used to send multitrack audio to/from the desk, from/to an appropriate iPad app. Obviously this can be just one or two tracks. I have used this to record a show once or twice, and to playback from Go Button quite a few times. I’ve never tried it with a streaming app though.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Just found something I posted some time ago :

I can’t find the actual announcement now, but it said:

“by Nicola A&H
    Qu and iOS streaming
    2015/05/22 in General News

We have recently completed a series of tests with the Qu USB interface, recording to / playing from iOS devices via the Apple ‘Lightning to USB Camera adapter’, and we are pleased to confirm that the latest generation of iPad Air and iPad Mini can successfully record and stream up to 32 tracks!
    You can now use Qu mixers with a number of DAW apps including Auria, Steinberg Cubasis, GarageBand, FL Studio HD and Presonus Capture.”

volounteer
    Participant

@markpaman

the original posting (or a copy?)

Qu and iOS streaming

video on streaming

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Original post
    video recording/live-streaming
    He wants to use the camera within the ipad and record digitally to it.
    Then stream it.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@markpaman
    Obviously this can be just one or two tracks
    Hi Mark
    Greetings 🙂
    When you find a way to record just 2 USB B audio tracks from a QU into an iPad CAMERA app digitally PLEASE do let on.
    The QU always sends out all of its tracks through USB B even if they are blank and then it’s up to the iPad Camera app to decide which of the 2 USB channels to record rather than it’s own internal microphone.
    I do know about multitracking into out of iPad audio apps. I have the Auria Pro app.
    A product to solve this issue is this
    https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/2022433/95-838_YELLOWTEC-PUC2-LITE-USB-AUDIO-CONVERTER-AES3-I-O
    That would give this:
    AES > Convertor> USB output > iPad camera app
    That’s quite an investment for an occasional job.

Thanks

However that an awful amount of money

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.