Venue 360 AES in from QU-24 anyone using this

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Venue 360 AES in from QU-24 anyone using this

This topic contains 21 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Yes, AES runs perfectly through Cat5/6/8

ddff

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Tried it to night, QuPac AES out to DBX 360 AES in, worked great, I may be wanting to hear an improvement but it seemed like there was a tiny bit more separation / easier to pick things out of the mix. I’ll try it again in a couple days. I went ahead and used the AES for the mains, at this event there was going to be time to go back to analog before the main performance if I would have felt the need to.

That brings up some questions:
    I have been running my 360’s at 96k, should I switch them to 48k when using AES since the QU runs at 48k?
    Will I have a latency issue if running the system in the aux sub mode and using AES for the mains and analog for the sub drive?

As for what my systems digital upgrade path has been:
    – About a year and a half ago I replaced all analog crossovers with DBX360’s. Very noticeable improvement, time alignment and steeper crossover slopes really cleaned up the midrange.
    – About four months after the DSP’s I added the QU-Pac, that addition brought out even a little more “mix separation”.
    – For my comparison reference my analog boards are the GL2400 series with nice Drawmer, BSS, TC Elec, Lexicon, Ashly processing and the crossovers were TDM’s.

Thanks
    Mike C.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Not being so tired now I looked up some numbers in regards to my latency question.

DBX 360 latency specs:
    Analog input to output: 2.57 ms (48 kHz), 2.28 ms (96 kHz); Digital AES input to output: 2.31 (48 kHz), 2.15 ms (96 kHz)

QU latency specs:
    Latency1.2 ms (local XLR in to XLR out) 0.7 ms (local XLR in to AES out)

So with those specs and assuming the 360 automatically clocks to 48k when connected to a 48k device regardless what it is set for when connected to an AES input, if I figured it correctly there would be an additional 0.76ms total latency of an analog input over an AES input with the 360 running at 48k and if the 360 is running at 96k it would be 0.63ms

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Not being so tired now I looked up some numbers in regards to my latency question.

DBX 360 latency specs:
    Analog input to output: 2.57 ms (48 kHz), 2.28 ms (96 kHz); Digital AES input to output: 2.31 (48 kHz), 2.15 ms (96 kHz)

QU latency specs:
    Latency1.2 ms (local XLR in to XLR out) 0.7 ms (local XLR in to AES out)

So with those specs and assuming the 360 automatically clocks to 48k when connected to a 48k AES device regardless what it is manually set for. If I figured it correctly there would be an additional 0.76ms total latency of an analog input over an AES input with the 360 running at 48k and if the 360 is running at 96k it would be 0.63ms

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Don’t forget a mSec is about stepping one foot ahead. Of course it seems to be obvious to not run mains and subs through paths with different latency, but assuming the subs are located on bottom and mid/high above the audience, the path length differs much more than few mSec near stage.

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

Anytime you get a chance to avoid an AD/DA do it, you’ll notice your transients are sharper, top end clarity opens up, and things just sound tighter overall.

In your case Qu24 will be your clock master, and I’d suggest setting your Venu360 to slave it’s clock to your Qu24.

Venu360 can have SRC mode enabled, but I wouldn’t do that unless you’re using two different digital sources into the AES inputs.

Qu24 AES output into Venu360 AES input 1, Venu360 clocking to AES input 1, SRC disabled.

That will provide you with the cleanest path.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

In my quick AES set up, test and use the other night I did leave the SRC on and the clock set to internal, actually when in that mode the SRC is on by default so the system will work with any AES source. Yes I should have read the manual closer before trying it instead of at 3am in the morning after I got home from the show!!
    Next time out in a couple days I’ll set the 360 to clock from AES 1-2 and the SRC to off. That may even be tiny bit better since I’m not sample rate converting a signal that does not need converted.

Now I’m going to need to get an AES splitter for when I drive two separate amp racks each with their own 360 DSP.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.