Venue 360 AES in from QU-24 anyone using this

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Venue 360 AES in from QU-24 anyone using this

This topic contains 21 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

Anything I need to be aware of in setting up of this? any advice is appreciated

Profile photo of joel77
    joel77
    Participant

I use AES output from my QU32 into my dbx VENU 360.

Not at my mixer right now, but as I recall, the QU will “see” the AES connection and send LR to it when connected. I don’t recall changing any setting to make this work.

Be sure you use a quality AES cable. A standard XLR is not recommended from all accounts I read.

HTH

Joel
    Glaser Audio Productions

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I seem to recall that Canford Audio once demonstrated AES over wet string at a trade show!

Link

While I suggest that you use something slightly more conventional for your cable, I don’t think it’s that fussy in practice. I’ve certainly never had a problem with it when grabbing the first mic lead that comes to hand.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Its probably a matter of cable length and impedance matching. I wouldn’t worry much for short runs (i.e. 10-20m/30-60ft), as long the cable provides low capacitance (signal rate is still 6MHz). Not sure if I’d run AES through an analog multicore, if thats the question.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I’ve used standard mic cables usually star quad type. I think AES cables are usually 110 ohm like DMX lighting cable. That should work. Nowadays folks are starting to use CAT cable for DMX so that’s a possibility. It’s 110ohm. I would probably use 6 shielded which is what I use now for permanent install jobs for Stage boxes on Qus and GLD.

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

how come we don’t have a way to route it to one of the jacks on my 2412 Dsnake rack up toward the stage where I keep my amp racks and speaker processor?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Because they have DACsbconnected, not AES circuitry…

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

now I Need to find a cat5e snake with a AES cable on the same roll πŸ™‚ since the the 2412 stage box does not have AES

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

or just go analogue the last few inches…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I have been wanting to try this with my Qu-Pac and into my 360 on the mains.

For those who have tried it do you notice any improvement in sound, in theory it should sound better by eliminating two digital conversion stages.

For me cable length would not be an issue as the QU-Pac normally sits on top of the amp racks anyway.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I really doubt that any potential sound improvement from skipping the additional DA/AD stage will survive Amps+Speaker+Room+Audience-Noise. This is a pure academic discussion.

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

hmm I wonder, I like to avoid as many DA/AD conversions as possible πŸ™‚ my old reel to reels always seem so warm as my records πŸ™‚ on a tube amp πŸ™‚

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I’ll try it tomorrow at an outside event I’m doing. For testing I’ll use the AES out to drive the out fill speaker zone.
    That test will not be for real critical listening but more for functionality.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

On the proper PA system each skip of conversion is noticeable. Skip as much as you can.

ddff

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. CAT cable I think is 110ohm. It’s is approved now for dmx lighting control. Couldn’t you get a dual or Siamese cat 5 or 6 and run the AES on the second cable using 2 pairs? I have ran digital audio from building to building that way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.