V1.5

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Fleck Fleck 3 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bracumba
    Bracumba
    Participant

Oh,oh…. The SQ-drive Stereo playback has issue’s. No matter what playback option you choose, on the end of a song, it jumps a few measures back and keeps repeating this last section. Overlooked, in this otherwise magnificent update !?

Profile photo of Fleck
    Fleck
    Participant

I found another thing, encoder, when turning really fast, values change slow, it’s like SLOW-FAST-SLOW, but should be SLOW-FAST-FASTER!

Really love RTA feature!!! Really love new path button in IO screen, I can’t describe it, you just feel so relaxed while “browsing” patches without fear of you gonna change something accidentally, best thing ever! Thank you so much, this is really great!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi guys,

@Bracumba – we are not able to reproduce this on any of our units (and therefore cannot find out what might be going on for you) – It would be really useful if you could send details of the drive you’re using and perhaps a copy of the file to support.allen-heath.com.

@fleck – there have been some changes to software ‘gearing’ in V1.5, e.g. along with the finer control of delay, we also changed the gearing to make it more accurate in use.
    What it sounds like you’re describing though, is just the mechanical working of the rotary encoders, which will appear to work in a ‘slow-fast-slow’ way if at the extreme you turn them so fast that their output messages actually ‘look’ like slower messages to the SQ core.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Bracumba
    Participant

Thanks for your quick respons, Keith. I will get in touch via support.

Profile photo of Fleck
    Fleck
    Participant

Hey Keith, I am not sure I agree, I noticed it immediately after upgrade, before I was turning it fast also 🙂 OFC I have no clue what encoders you use inside, all I know is that cheap aliexpress ones I cannot work to mechanical limits with my fingers, IF I use interrupts on MCU’s (I programm MCU), it depends on software, how fast you poll, if you skip “steps” (I turn faster than software read encoder state) then happens what I describe – slowdown! Anyway, that is not important, the important thing is that you know about it, and if you can, fix it! 🙂 If not – I can live with it.

Profile photo of rottmat
    rottmat
    Participant

I found a small bug in the online shop.
    Unfortunately it is possible to buy an sq5 plugin and to enter the serial number and dna of an sq6 to request the activation code. the activation code which is generated without an error message is unfortunately unusable

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @rottmat,

That wouldn’t be classed as a bug, that’s purchasing the incorrect product for your unit 😉
    Don’t worry though, we can get that sorted out for you – please contact shop@allen-heath.com with the details of your order if you haven’t already.

Thanks!
    Keith.

Bracumba
    Participant

Regarding SQ playback. I made three short Stereo recordings, and on playback everything behaved as can be expected. But playback of songs previously used as background/walk in music does not work well. I used three different sticks and one drive, that all worked perfectly on the previous version. Now from a list only the first chosen song will play, and whatever playback mode , the ending of that song will keep repeating.

I will further look in to this and communicate my results through support. Posted this here just to make sure that on replicating the problem, you also used some prerecorded songs.

I am not very lucky with new updates, everytime I ran into issue’s mainly involving recording, USB, Dante… Never the less I am very happy with my SQ. A beautiful, powerful and ‘musical’ machine with a great team and service to back it up. And V1.5 is very well thought out, utmost useful and again with a beatiful workflow. I am sure the problems now with the USB playback can be resolved. Thanks for your time.

KeithJ A&H

@Bracumba – We’ve made quite a lot of changes in USB world with V1.5, what with the 48kHz and a lot of improvements/fixes.
    Obviously it worked throughout our testing, so it would be really useful if you can send us a example of one of the files to enable us to investigate. If possible, it would also be a good test to format one of the sticks and add the same files back, just to narrow things down to the files (and not hidden files in folders or something strange).
    We will figure it out! (and thanks for all the kind words! I will pass them on to the team 🙂 )

Keith.

Bracumba
    Participant

SQ drive issue:
    Yes ! Problem solved.
    On the iMac , a little App called ‘Tag Stripper’ cleaned up all the audio files. Apparantly there was still something in the data that version 1.4.x did not care to much about, but version 1.5 could not ‘live’ with.

Playing around I noticed that renaming a file directly with the (SQ) USB stick in an iMac, will corrupt the order the SQ will display the files in almost random way.
    So on an iMac, let an app like ‘Tag Stripper’, do its job. Rename the files you want to use starting with eg: A1 name , A2 name….., B1 name, B2 name…, etc. And all the files will show op neatly organized and play correctly on the SQ.
    But beware; especially V1.5 is very unforgiving , should you go about it any other way.

That things go wrong, is absolutely no problem. It is the way you react to a problem, that makes it a real problem. And by your quick and friendly reply, you immediately give the signal that you are there for us, and that a problem can and will be solved.
    Thank you so much Keith and the whole team.

Stay well !

Profile photo of Fleck
    Fleck
    Participant

One more problem I found with EQ RTA:
    Set Max/Peak to slowest, then Select to a quieter channel, Max/Peak lines should reset IMO, but they stay – this means – max/peak line is from old source and not “actual!”

KeithJ A&H

@Bracumba – Really glad you figured it out! It would still be really useful if you could send through an example file if you have any unedited ones (please), just to help us fully understand what was causing the issue. Especially as there are no-doubt other users who will come across the same thing (and thanks for sharing for that reason too!).

@fleck – We had a lot of discussion on this, and mainly wanted the ability for the max/peak indicators to ‘hold’ in order to allow them to be used when you’re not necessarily looking at them.
    e.g. if you had MixPad set up to keep an eye out for feedback, you could set the RTA to hold and come back to it later to see which frequency peaked.
    As you are effectively controlling the RTA averaging when adjusting the slow/fast controls, and feeding that same RTA with different sources, it will keep the peaks if set to the slowest (hold) setting as this is the actual max/peak for the RTA, but I do understand what you mean.
    If it’s not possible to use the slow/fast control just above its slowest setting for your application, it would be great if you could add this to the feature suggestions section, along with a brief description of how you’re using it. Then if other users agree with you and/or present their own use cases, we could revisit this in future.
    It is a brand new feature for us after all, so all feedback (except that kind!) is welcome 🙂

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

I have the same problem and opend a ticket.

I have send 32 channels to alex.

Richard

Profile photo of Fleck
    Fleck
    Participant

@keith I kinda agree with you also, in this case, I think the best thing would be to have a toggle switch (Reset max/peak indicators on source change or not). I use it for averaging, in this case I can have real time columns that are fast in response and AVG max/peak indicators that form a line, can check what is instrument doing in freq bands, adjust if needed 🙂 Instead of just columns that are slow averaging (in this case the max/peak indicators renders pretty much useless anyways). Thanks for this brand new feature, I love it! 🙂

EDIT: Or even better (IMO) – feature that lets me assign to SoftKey to just reset max/peak indicators! Only this would do it for me, then if I change source, I just reset when I need to! 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.