Using the QU32 as an Interface

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Using the QU32 as an Interface

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dick Rees Dick Rees 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Hi fellas – I currently use an external interface while using Smaart. Has anyone used the QU mixer AS the interface while using Smaart?
    If so, how do you route your reference line since it is typically a split off of your main OUT or matrix?

Smaart sees the QU connected and offers 32 inputs to choose from. I choose 1 input for my measurement mic and of course another input has to be for the reference signal. Routing the reference signal is where my hang up is at.

Any ideas?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

If you can’t route the LR to the USB interface you’d have to split it and plug it back into a channel.

Chris

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

In this case with the mixer as the interface…. I think I hear you saying to route the main out split back into an input channel. Is this correct?
    Won’t this create an undesired loop?

In this case – I was planning on using the pink noise generator in the console too.

My overall goal here is to get away with using an external interface if possible.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

In this case with the mixer as the interface…. I think I hear you saying to route the main out split back into an input channel. Is this correct?
    Won’t this create an undesired loop?

In this case – I was planning on using the pink noise generator in the console too.

My overall goal here is to get away with using an external interface if possible.

You can use any channel for routing of a returned signal. All that’s required is that you UN-ASSIGN that channel from the mains bus or any other bus which would create a loop.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

You don’t need to route that input to anywhere other than USB, so no need to be scared of a loop.

There are a very large number of possible loops you can configure, even ignoring any analogue loops.

Why not run L&R mixed into a matrix and use that as the ref?

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Thanks for the responses everyone. I worked with the routing a bit and I did get smaart to demonstrate a transfer function BUT I don’t feel comfortable with how it turned out. I couldn’t really get my signal levels in Smaart up where they needed to be without blasting pink noise thru my system. With an external interface – it is super easy to get great levels at really low volume on the PA. So…. I have to figure out how to get my signal levels up even though my channel strip gains are cranked on the QU.

At this point – the external interface is pretty rock solid so I may have to continue to carry it around. However, I like the idea that the QU can be my mixing board AND act as my Smaart interface at the same time. Splitting the Main out signal and routing it back into the board correctly is my hangup.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I believe you’re looking for an adjustment within SMAART itself to get the display to function at the desired level. Possibly a sensitivity or display magnitude setting.
    IOW, you should be able to adjust the program itself to work with/at a reasonable signal level through the board. The problem could still be there with an interface unless there’s some kind of “auto-sensing” between the program and interface.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.