Using SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB as Qu-Drive?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Using SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB as Qu-Drive?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robbocurry robbocurry 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wil Riker
    Wil Riker
    Participant

And I’m not sure why you don’t want me to do so. After a few test recordings I can confirm that the Cruzer Force 64 GB works fine without any problems (stereo playback, stereo recording and multitrack recording).

Thread can be closed.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

64 gb stick means I can go about a gig with a stop/start after soundcheck,rehearsal,set1,set2…

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

Well over the wekend I tried a Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32GB (the forerunner to the Ultrafit) and it worked fine. Admittedly I only recorded 2 channels but it writes 18 anyway in multitrack. I had extimated that 48kHz sampling for 18 tracks would write about 3.3MB/sec and it worked out at 2.5MB/sec. This was based on two test recordings one of 60 seconds and another of 120 seconds. I think the Cruzer Fit is only rated at about 4-5MB/s write speed anyway. So based on that, I would say that most current drives would perform OK. So there are several low profile drives I would be prepared to try:-

<TABLE>

<TR><TD>make</TD><TD>model</TD><TD>read</TD><TD>write</TD><TD>size GB</TD><TD>price £</TD></TR>
    <TR><TD>Transcend</TD><TD>Jetflash</TD><TD>80</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>18.82</TD></TR>
    <TR><TD>Integral</TD><TD>Fusion</TD><TD>140</TD><TD>20</TD><TD> 64</TD><TD>19.99</TD></TR>
    <TR><TD>Patriot</TD><TD>Spark</TD><TD>110</TD><TD>64</TD><TD></TD><TD>20.98</TD></TR>
    <TR><TD>Patriot</TD><TD>Tab</TD><TD>110</TD><TD>64</TD><TD></TD><TD>24.99</TD></TR>
    <TR><TD>Transcend</TD><TD>Jetflash</TD><TD>90</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>64</TD><TD>24.99</TD></TR>
    <TR><TD>Verbatim</TD><TD>Store n go</TD><TD>60</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>12</TD></TR>
    <TR><TD>Sandisk</TD><TD>Extreme</TD><TD>245</TD><TD>190</TD><TD>

</TABLE>

The read and write speed are in MB/sec.

My motive is not the price, but the convenience of having a low profile USB device that will be used mainly for backups of scenes etc, sound checks. If I am going to make serious recordings, I would do that via USB streaming straight into a Cubase project.

HTH

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

Oh well – that didn’t work too well.

List of pen drives

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

and neither did that

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

The issue is when FAT updates happen – if the stick can’t cope with that excess load then the QU buffers will be overrun.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Exactly, FAT updates, which require additional transactions are the problem, not the write speed. Additionally the stick may need additional time to handle internal wearing issues. Don’t forget that these types of Flash Drives (and SSDs as well) use NAND flashes which degrade over time and therefore needs some special care to maintain integrity. Contrary to FAT updates this is totally undeterministic. This is not critical for regular use, but may hit you in realtime applications like audio streaming.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.