Using SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB as Qu-Drive?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Using SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB as Qu-Drive?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robbocurry robbocurry 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Ok, just spliced a USB cable to do some power measurements. USB Power is not the issue with the Ultra Fit (64GB), it only draws about 100mA from the port. My external HDD has a peak consumption of about 700mA which is way above USB specs, but runs fine with the Qu. So the good info is, it looks like a software problem which should be possible to fix. I’ll redo some diagnostics on the USB side next days, maybe someone on A&H listens… 😉

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

We know something that isn’t the problem. yay

Profile photo of Wil Riker
    Wil Riker
    Participant

Maybe smaller versions of the Ultra Fit work?

https://www.musiker-board.de/threads/allen-heath-qu-16-qu-24-userthread.527946/page-15#post-7238052

Anyone who can confirm or test it?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

From his last post Koksi01 is referring to a CruzerFit (USB2.0) and not an UltraFit (USB3.0). Would be indeed interesting to see multitrack recording on this rather slow stick (~4.5MB/s write speed as stated in some reviews)

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Don’t you mean:

“Wou d e in er t ng”

Wil Riker
    Participant

Andreas, you’re right. He’s talking about the predescessor of the Ultra Fit. I’m trying to get a 64 GB model of this drive an then we’ll see ;-).
    The write speed should be OK for multitrack recordings (8 MB per minute per track = 2.4 MB per second with 18 tracks).

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

2.4MB/s is only the bandwidth required to write the audio data, but maintaining the drive integrity more reads/writes are required (cluster allocation, FAT management). These updates will occur in bunches (18 FAT updates for 18 Tracks) and if this takes too long, the Qu may run out of buffers (even with clever buffer management and delayed FAT updates). So the margin is not as large as it seems to be…

Wil Riker
    Participant

OK, as the Fit series was out of stock, I bought a Cruzer Force 64 GB model a few minutes ago. I’ll test this evening…

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I don’t understand why you’re trying to use unapproved media when the Extreme is the only approved thumb-drive to date. The experience posted on this and a half-dozen audio forums all points to the Extreme as THE consistently correct choice.

Why look elsewhere? You’re wasting time and money. For now it’s the Extreme or nothing…

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

If we can get a low profile USB stick approved (and without testing then none ever will be) then that becomes a better choice due to profile. The Extreme is extremely long, and therefore easy to knock, potentially breaking the Qu-Drive port, or at least the stick itself, certainly fritzing the recording…

One of these ultra low profile devices would be an excellent option. I’m kind of surprised that Class 10 SD media wasn’t considered an option, an SD card clicked in could be a zero height option (or indeed a USB port on the underside of the mixer…)

The three connections on the face of the mixer are all potentially vulnerable to being knocked. I have two “right angle” extension cables to minimise the height profile of Qu-Drive and ST3, but phones are still exposed (although I didn’t actually PAFL anything last gig, I was all set up to do so over FM, but never did).

A couple of extension cables and I’m OK, but a low profile stick would be one less thing to cause issues, one fewer connection…

Wil Riker
    Participant

@Dick Rees: Because I think there has to be more than that only device which can be used as Qu-Drive (and perhaps a cheaper one).

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Thats’s a great suggestion for next mixer generations… No more headphones outputs on the top of the surface (its not a DJ business!) horizontal front connection like every other manufacturer! 😉 usb and inputs for sure as well on a better position (or at least one out of two usb ports on the back or front! (SD card for multitrack recording sounds nice as well!)

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

when positioning the sockets rack mounts need to be considered as well, out of the front isn’t always best…

Mine is off to a transmitter, so PFL will normally be out of alt-out …

Wil Riker
    Participant

The Cruzer Force is recognized by my Qu-16 and could be formatted :). It seems that multitrack recording also works :).

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I’m not sure why you’d need a 64 gb stick. I use a couple of 16’s and transfer the .wav files to my laptop on breaks, reformat the stick and go again. If I need to I just ping-pong from one to the other for recording. Since the file system limits things to 4 hour increments I don’t see the advantage to putting all your eggs in one 64 gb basket.

Just because the desk recognizes a stick does not mean that it will format properly and write clean files…

The recommendation from A&H is to do one thing at a time, off-load and re-format to avoid the possibility of file fragmentation and errors. Since I use my Qu-16 for paying work, I can’t afford to shop around for cheaper stuff that might work. That said, I spent a lot less on a package deal of 3 Extreme 16 gb sticks than buying a 64 gb stick and having extra unusable (for my application) capacity.

The clients get their tracks/recording on a regular USB stick. Once the .wav files are recorded, any old stick will do for delivery. But for the critical task of writing the recorded files it makes ZERO sense to guess about what MIGHT work. One failure and I’ve lost a client.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.