Using SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB as Qu-Drive?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Using SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB as Qu-Drive?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robbocurry robbocurry 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wil Riker
    Wil Riker
    Participant

Is there any possibility to use a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB work as Qu-Drive? The device is recognized by my Qu-16 but formatting doesn’t work (it gets stuck at 0%). I tried to set it up by computer by formatting it with FAT32 (32k cluster size) and creating the folder structure by hand, but that doesn’t work either.
    Maybe it’s possible to support this drive in a future firmware release because it has a nice size…?

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

I bought one of those thinking because of its low profile it would sit nicely and not get knocked. I got no joy at all, same problem as you. It also ran very hot.

I rsorted to the Sandisk Extreme and that works fine. I have a Sandisk Cruzer that I might try as that is another low profile device, but I expect that won’t have the I/O performance that is needed.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

UltraFit is the low profile one isn’t it?

Not sure what the sustained transfer speeds are – but it *should* format.

Did you plug it in before or after booting the QU? try the other???

Wil Riker
    Participant

Yes, it’s the tiny one: https://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/ultra-fit3/

It doesn’t matter when I plug it in, before or after booting, the flash drive appears in Setup/Utility/Q-Drive but formatting doesn’t work :(.

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant
    Wil Riker
    Participant

It’s really annoying that the drive works perfectly on my Mac and other computers but not on my Qu-16. So perhaps it’s a problem with the Qu-16 and not with the drive itself?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Same issue here, I guess the power consumtion of the Ultra Fit is simply too high for the Qu socket.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

That should be testable – get a USB cable with the power pins diverted to an off board supply (maybe just spliced in but with some protective diodes?)

No use for the “neat” case here, but would at least suggest a testable property of drives…

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

According to the information in the links provided above the “problem” would seem to be low write speed…

Go with the Extreme and if you need a lower profile use one of the right-angle USB pigtails.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Its not the write speed (the UltraFit does not even enumerate properly, communication lost right in the middle), and when a cable/right-angle is required, we’ll also could use the Extreme. Once you saw the UltraFit plugged into the Qu you really want this combination to work, but I doubt there’s a solution for existing units (just guessing!!!).

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

Check out the last post on this link – Sandisk have effectively acknowledged there is a problem!

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1256545

And here are some other unflattering reviews

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I have one for a readyNAS, so I appreciate the form factor.

The cable was only ever a test, givingnus concrete evidence of the issue.

I use an extreme on the end of a USB3 extension cable which is a right angle plug into the desk, pointing off to the side.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Andreas…

Can you shed any light on this?

When I use the Qu-drive to record a stereo backup copy of the audio feed I’m sending to video cameras I notice that Track 001 counts down from 4:00:00. If I then record Track 002 it again counts down from 4:00:00.

Why the 4 hour partitions?

Edit:

I’m using the Sandisk Extreme 16 GB sticks.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

The 4h recording limit comes from the FAT32 filesystem which restricts filesize to 4GBytes each. Recording stereo with 24 Bit at 48kHz produces about a Gig per hour (2*48000*3*60*60). Multitrack recording limit is 8 hours per session, since 18 mono files are recorded.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.