using RTA with PFL on one channel

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting using RTA with PFL on one channel

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

The other night, I wanted to see one channel on the RTA, I didn’t care if it was on the iPad or the EQ “fader-flip” button on the console.

Can this be done?

I could not figure out how, so I assigned that channel to a mix that I was not using,… then I solo’d (PFL) that mix and used the fader flip for the 28 band EQ. It seems like there has got to be a more efficient way to accomplish this, but since input channels don’t have 28 band EQ,,, maybe not.

Thanks in advance folks!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Just PFL the channel and it appears on the RTA – the RTA is hooked into whatever the engineers monitor is fed.

If you need a GEQ then yes, you need to use a mix, but the RTA is freely assignable.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

and here I thought I knew everything about this thing 🙂
    I will check that out,
    Thanks!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

It’s worth looking at the system block diagram – the RTA is on there, and that should make it obvious where it’s hooked in…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I was mostly wanting to use the graphic EQ (fader-flip) display on the console, but I completely forgot about the RTA on the Home Screen,

Thanks Bob 🙂

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The GEQ fader flip allows you *set* eq on an output – it doesn’t show anything about the signal passing through.

I guess I’m a bit confused about what you are trying to do, the RTA and GEQ are very different, although they do share the octave divisions…

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

In GEQ Fader Flip mode, the channel meters actually behave like an RTA display (with peak band indication) to aid GEQ use, for example in case of feedback. Be aware this is still analysing the PAFL bus, which is not necessarily the selected Mix. Some might find this confusing but it gives you more flexibility should you want to RTA (PAFL) a measurement mic whilst tweaking the GEQ.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Ah, yes – so it does, but at fairly low resolution compared with the onscreen/iPad RTA.

I’ve not used fader flip enough to have noticed…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

“Be aware this is still analysing the PAFL bus, which is not necessarily the selected Mix”

Ahhhh. I now understand why my eyes & ears didn’t agree with each other last week!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

One to be aware of certainly. And possibly really quite confusing – I wonder whether they would be better “off” unless they are measuring the active mix…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.