Using QU Series Mixers as Control Surface and I/O for ProTools

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Using QU Series Mixers as Control Surface and I/O for ProTools

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GBird
    GBird
    Participant

I am considering purchasing a QU Series mixer for a mix room using ProTools.
    My question is can the mixer replaced the digi design 196 I/O module using the USB streaming interface AND can it also be configured as a control surface simultaneously?
    Thanks in advance for any info.

Graham

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Yes, with a couple of caveats.

Whereas the digidesign offers multiple clock rates and sync options, the Qu series are locked to 48kHz/24 bit, and can only be the clock master in the system. Whereas the digidesign can be daisy-chained to another to allow for more IO, the Qu cannot (largely because each Qu must be the clock master, and having multiple clock masters in the one system won’t go well.) Whereas the digidesign offers a variety of analogue and digital inputs and outputs, the Qu only offers analogue inputs (if you don’t count the USB returns,it doesn’t have AES in, SPDIF, ADAT etc,) and the only digital output is the stereo AES\EBU and USB.

If all you require is 16 analogue ins > USB (@48kHz,24-bit,) and 16 faders to control Protools, then yes it can replace a digidesign 196 IO module. If your intended application is more complicated, it might not.

Profile photo of GBird
    GBird
    Participant

Thanks. The mixer would not be used for recording only mix and outputs feeding the 7.4.1 monitoring system using the bus outs. I have a 196 but thought I would try this out as I need 12 outputs.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

So do I have this correct – you actually want to use the Qu-16 as a monitoring mixer while controlling PT from it as well. Yes? Not as I/O. Eh?

Profile photo of GBird
    GBird
    Participant

That’s right.
    May be the odd voice over to record but that’s it. This is a TV mix room.
    Eh? 🙂

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I have used a QU solely for control of midi channels ITB and listening to through and occasinally other things.
    Works well!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.