Using QU-Drive to demonstrate desk functions

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Using QU-Drive to demonstrate desk functions

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Greenslade
    Greenslade
    Participant

Hi

I will be demoing a QU-32 in a local church so they can see if they want to purchase it. To save having to put the band on stage I was thinking of using the internal Qu-Drive functionality to load up some multitracks so that they could have a play with the functions.

To this end I have already found out that the Qu expects 18 24bit/48KHz files of the same size, following the particular folder structure of its own recorder. I also found out that I need to avoid broadcast chunks. However I have seen that some people still have issues.

If I download multitrack files from one of the free sites on the web, I presume the easiest way to do it is to load them all into Reaper and then render them out. Has anyone got any experience doing this, who could advise on any potential pitfalls? I will be getting the desk on the morning with the demo on the afternoon, so would rather avoid dealing with multiple export/re-export troubleshooting loops if I can avoid it.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Most foolproof way would be to play out through Reaper to the desk, and record as you do so. You’ll not need more than 20-30 minutes of audio will you?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Maybe the shop you’re buying from has a demo stick ?

If not, I agree with Bob; make sure you have an empty and compatible stick available, format it and record 18 tracks onto it.

Giga

Greenslade
    Participant

The trouble with that is, I’d need a multichannel audio interface to get that to work, and if I had one I probably wouldn’t need to use the Qu-drive!

I’ll ask the distributor if they have demo USBs I guess, so I at least have something if it all goes wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Greenslade
    Participant

Wait, I think I missed something. I could just use the USB streaming option on the QU32 itself, right? D’oh. That’s obvious now.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

You missed more even…….

Good luck demoing !

Giga

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes – USB B into the desk, recording to QuDrive.
    Then playback through QuDrive.

Or just USB stream for the demo (depends if you have a DAW laptop with you)

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Of course, you will have set all this up and rehearsed your proposal demo thoroughly prior to the day…

Quickest way to lose a sale is to fumble even the least bit of the demo. It takes about 5 seconds to flush it down the loo.

Greenslade
    Participant

I mean, thanks for being patronising but a) not my sale, I’m consulting and this is the desk we’ve decided is the most likely candidate: I get paid the same regardless. B) I already said the desk will be arriving on the same day, so no I won’t, hence the need to sort out potential issues in advance. Thanks for your concern though.

Greenslade
    Participant

Fwiw setting the streaming up from Reaper seems like a much less problematic and time consuming way of demoing the system for them so I shall just do that. Thanks for putting me on the right track. 🙂

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Is the PC or Mac you will be using been used or set up for that streaming to QU desk before?
    I take it you know how to quickly set the routing up to do this?

good luck

Greenslade
    Participant

I’ll be using a mac. I’ve looked through the QU manual and the desk routing seems simple enough, and I know how to set up reaper. Thanks for your kind wishes.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Should be OK then.

Remember bit depth and sample rates… and have fun

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.