Using Qu as a stage-box for SQ5

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Using Qu as a stage-box for SQ5

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VojtechBasta
    VojtechBasta
    Participant

I have both QU and SQ5 consoles. I would like to use QU and a stage-box and SQ5 as FOH mixing console.

Here are some limitations I am aware of:
    – QU communicates with SQ via sLink on hardcoded port numbers (custom routing doesn’t work from Qu point)ยจ
    – SQ cannot control the gains on QU.
    Are there any other limitations/downfalls I might not be aware of?

I am also wondering, if the QU-SQ connection introduces extra delay as opposed to AB168 stage-box?
    What is the expected delay introduced when connecting SQ-AB168?

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Be aware that using the QU with the SQ will limit audio to 48Khz.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I am also wondering, if the QU-SQ connection introduces extra delay as opposed to AB168 stage-box?
    What is the expected delay introduced when connecting SQ-AB168?

Using inputs from different devices/sources will definitely affect the latency. Most people don’t realize it, but in the Allen and Heath systems there is a difference in total latency between local I/O on the console and I/O on a stagebox connected to the console (with the stagebox being more latent). Certainly connecting two consoles together and using I/O from the second system is going add even more latency.

I don’t know how much that latency will be, but I doubt it will be very much (I’m guessing less than 1ms). If you use inputs from a variety of sources (local I/O, stagebox I/O, I/O from second console, etc), you will have different total latency times for each source type. Depending on the actual inputs, this may or may not cause an issue. Generally it won’t cause an issue unless you have inputs spread across multiple connection sources that are picking up the same source sounds. For example, if you have your drum mics on local I/O and some stagebox box I/O as well, it might cause some phasing issues. If they are all on the stage box and your other inputs are local I/O, it probably won’t cause an issue.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Remember to set the SQ to use the clock from the QU – unwanted noises can occure it you don’t!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.