Using Qu 16 and Qu Pad without internet access

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Using Qu 16 and Qu Pad without internet access

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of WilOT5F WilOT5F 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WilOT5F
    WilOT5F
    Participant

Hello

I’m planning on creating a local area wireless network without internet access to connect my iPad loaded with Qu Pad and my Qu 16. I’m creating the network from my MacBook Pro and using a Aiport express as client to connect the Qu 16 via ethernet. I absolutely love using Qu Pad with my Qu 16, especially during sound checks. Unfortunately, i’m only able to use this feature when a reliable wireless connection is available, which can be hard to come by in some venues. I’m hoping to overcome this problem with this setup. Can anyone offer any advice to if it may or may not work with the Qu 16. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Will

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

That’s fine…

I do it all the time. Beware, the latest iOS doesn’t show the WiFi sign if you don’t have net access, but the connection is still there…

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Your Wireless Access Point/Router shouldn’t need to be connected to the internet. Does the Airport Express create its own network name and broadcast it or do you need the MacBook Pro hooked up to do that?

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

I’m not an iOS person, but I think all you need to do is connect the Airport express to your Mac to configure it, then you can connect the QU to it via an ethernet cable, Boot up the QU, and set the QU up to connect to the Airport express. A&H Recommends using DHCP, and you should set up the Airport Express with security. Then set up the iPad to access the Express, and you should see the QU when you open the QU app. As has been said, no internet access is needed, and I would add that it is best if nothing other than the QU is connected to the Airport Express ethernet ports. I don’t know enough about the Airport express to say how good it might work in this application.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

@ TS: I’m a week ahead of you as I’ve done the exact same thing. Bought a new AE, downloaded the airport-app and was able to configure the router exactly as I wanted including the name you’d like to use for it.
    Then connect it to your mixer, log your Ipad, comp or whatever into the wifi network the AE is providing and your of to the races.
    I haven’t tried it live yet but testing around the house gave me confidence that it’ll work fine.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Just to confirm, that you only need to set it up once with which can even be done from an iPad or phone with the “Airport Utility” app.

My first lives permanently plugged into my QU-16 in its case, and I don’t tend to even think about it now. By the time I want to use the iPad, it’s up and running & the iPad’s connected. My QU-Pac case has no room for permanently connected router, so my second one lives in the case with my other odds & ends.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Because the Airport I have is an old one I have it set in bridging mode, but that doesn’t give an address to the QU when plugged in over ethernet…
    So the QU has a fixed address, and I have to select ‘other’ to connect (I also had to type in the IP address once, but the app remembers that from gig to gig).

Even with that slight annoyance the Airport is far better than any of the other WiFi access points I’ve been through…

Profile photo of WilOT5F
    WilOT5F
    Participant

Thanks for all of the replies! The system works great. The Airport Express is a great bit of kit, especially the 1st gen model.

Cheers

Will

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.