Using QU-16 as crossover between tops and subs

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Using QU-16 as crossover between tops and subs

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith
    Keith
    Participant

Hi I’m considering adding subs to my pa speaker rig and am wondering if using the mono outs to drive the subs and use the GEQ’s to determine the crossover frequency?

Thanks

Keith

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Don’t use a GEQ as that is not a bandpass filter. I would use a PEQ and set the HF to a roll off filter (not peak/dip) then run the roll off back to the desired freq. Usually 80-110 or so. I do 90. I have not tried that on a GLD and have not gotten my QU yet. So not sure if HF on a PEQ will go back that far. Problem with using a GEQ is that you want ALL that above the cutoff to go away at some db per octave. With a GEQ there are still spike of sideband from the individual freqs.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Just checked it on my GLD. That will work. Set the PEQ for low pass or hi cut filter. Right side bottom icon. Then use right knob on PEQ on board to sweep back to where you want. I am assuming here that the QU has the same ability to do this…

Profile photo of Shane
    Shane
    Participant

The main outs and mixes 1-4 only have GEQ. The “stereo” mix feeds do have PEQ. You can set it up like GCumbee said. (icons are different) Don’t know what the slope is though.

Profile photo of Leon BigEars A&H
    Leon BigEars A&H

The shelving filters are 12dB/octave

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Would you not want to do this on an AUX feedd and just put in that mix what you want?, kick, bass, other LF content instruments. Then put the LF pass filter on that output feed. That is IF the QU has PEQ on Auxes. I have not gotten mine yet.

Profile photo of AdamS
    AdamS
    Participant

CGumbee, the Qu has PEQ on the stereo auxes only (5-6, 7-8, 9-10), the first four mono auxes have GEQ only, if I remember correctly.

AdamS

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

That would be what you want anyway. Aux fed subs. Just put into them what is needed…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

PEQ on Qu has no hi cut setting, only bell and shelf

the real solution for that would be the possibility the define low and high band as a low pass and high pass filters.

That would help for other things as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.