Using pad for proper gain

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Using pad for proper gain

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rick Rick 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

I have wireless receivers with very strong output set to -10db when default is +12. I have turned down the output to about the minimum and the GLD input gain to +14. I do have a problem with hiss in recordings and, thinking analog, wonder if I should be using the pad to be able to increase the gains nearer to mid-point?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

You want a high signal level as early as possible, and you don’t need to be thinking about the pad until you’ve at least turned the preamp down as far as it will go.

The preamp will go down to +5 without the pad, 9dB below where you have it now. To start with, do that, and turn your receiver outputs up by 9dB. You’ll get a 9dB improvement in signal-to-noise ratio.

Your receivers are outputting a noise floor at a constant relatively low level, and an audio signal that is whatever level you decide. Your preamp is amplifying *both* of these, bringing the audio signal up to where you want it, and dragging the noise floor up too by the same amount. If you output a higher level audio signal from the receiver you won’t need to amplify it as much later, which will improve your signal to noise ratio.

You don’t necessarily “want” to use any gain from the preamp, they’re just there because you need them for when you have a low level source, such as most microphones.

Chris

Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

I will increase the gain on the wireless to +12 which will be a 22dB gain. Since I am currently bumping into the yellow I expect to need to pad. I am trying to have a margin on the input signal to stay out of the red.
    I have never heard hiss in PFL. It only can be heard on the recording.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I will report on the results.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.