Using iPod/CD player, etc.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Using iPod/CD player, etc.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of musicalnut
    musicalnut
    Participant

Maybe I am missing something here, but when I plug in my CD player, MP3 player, computer, etc into a channel or or even ST1 or ST2 on my QU 16 and my Qu 24 the sound is unbalanced. I don’t hear vocal, or melody, etc. Just the background recorded track. I have tried playing with different ways of connecting it, either through XLR or 1/4 inch and still the same. Even if I play with EQs which seems odd as I should just play it flat and I should hear how it recorded track should be.

HELP???!!! What am I missing??

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Era, I don’t know what you’re missing, but the QU can’t strip vocals from an input… It’s good, but it’s not that good.

musicalnut
    Participant

I tried going mini to mini with ST3 and it worked GREAT! why doesn’t it work going mini to 1/4 or 1/4 to XLR?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Is your cable wired up correctly?

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

Sounds like you are feeding a stereo miniature TRS jack into a balanced TRS or XLR. The effect of this will be to only give you the difference between the L and R stereo signals. So anything that appears in the middle of the stereo image, such as vocals, will all but disappear.

musicalnut
    Participant

Thanks MikeShand! If that’s the case, is there a way around this? I never had this problem with other mixers. 🙁

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

It would be the same with any other mixer where you were feeding an unbalanced stereo signal into a balanced mono input. What you need is a cable which takes the unbalanced stereo TRS to two unbalanced TS plugs, or XLRs that you can then plug into two input channels. If you have previously used a mixer which has a stereo unbalanced input then of course it would previously have worked, but they are unusual to say the least on serious mixers.

Something like this might do the trick

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP153-Cable-Inch-Dual/dp/B000068O3C

Or this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HosaTech-CYX-402M-3-5mm-Stereo-Breakout/dp/B000068OEO

I’m not recommending these particular products, just showing examples of the sort of lead you need.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…then the other mixers do not have symmetrical inputs on 1/4 inputs.
    ST3 is a regular stereo input on TRS connector, ST1/ST2 need two cables for stereo, all you need is a proper split cable from mini TRS into two mono 1/4 connetors. This should be common to all mixers or other gear, the Qu behaves absolute correctly.
    [Edit, as been too late] …as Mike wrote

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.