Using Fiber Optic converters

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Using Fiber Optic converters

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MJCElectronics MJCElectronics 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lishinsky
    Lishinsky
    Participant

The FiberACE cards are expansive, and you need 2 in order to connect Surface to mix-rack. Does any one has any experience connecting the Dlive system with Cat5e to Fiber converters?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of Lishinsky
    Lishinsky
    Participant

Thank you Nicola!!

Profile photo of RuthMarshall
    RuthMarshall
    Participant

Have you done some similar manipulations in your life before Nicola? Sometimes, it’s the easiest way to help. Just to paste the link and the job is done. Your question seems to be not an easy one to solve. There are some basic steps. Firstly, you need to connect the copper port of Switch B to the RJ45 port of fiber media converter using a UTP cable. Do you understand what I am talking about bro? Then you must plug SFP transceiver into SFP slot on the media converter, and plug another SFP module into Switch A. Sounds pretty easy, am I right? The third and the last step is connecting the RJ45 port of fiber media converter#2 to Switch B using a UTP cable. This is my experience, you might have other details but the algorithm is the same. If you are not able to do it on your own, you should better contact a [url=https://v1fiber.com/]fiber optic engineering[/url] manufacturer such as this one.

Profile photo of MJCElectronics
    MJCElectronics
    Participant

I run GigaACE through fibre using TP Link MC220L media converters no issues.
    There are a couple of advantages to these converters.
    1 – they have a MiniGBIC slot for the fibre connection so you can fit SR or LR GBICs (SFPs) to suit your fibre and easily swap those out if your needs change.
    2 – They’re relatively cheap, you’re looking at less than £40 for a converter and a SR MiniGBIC.

Dead easy to use, FTP cable from a GigaACE port to converter and fibre out of the MiniGBIC, same at the other end to get back to copper.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

@mjcelectronics

What means SR and LR?

MJCElectronics
    Participant

Hi Steffen

SR is Short Range, works with multimode fibre and is good for 500m or so distance (usually LED based optics).
    LR is Long Range, works with single mode fibre and is good for kms of distance (usually laser based optics).

Pick based on distance or if you’re not in control of the fibre then pick to match the fibre type you must work with.
    I use short range as it’s my fibre and I’m not exceeding 500m distances but with the TP Link converters should I ever need to connect to someones single mode fibre I can easily swap the SFP cheaper than changing out the entire converter.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

to differ the systems with that method is… hm… strange, at least
    I would prefer the modes as the main separation criteria (is that understandable?)

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

to distinguish between multimode and singlemode only by the possible distance you can use them for is a bit strange, at least. There is a few more important things you should take into account in my opinion.

MJCElectronics
    Participant

True there’s more to it than that, I was tring to give a simple overview without gtting into the fine technical details.
    For fibre selection in small stand-alone fibre systems that most productions require distance and cost are really the deciding factors in my experience.
    In larger more complex systems where you may be needing to connect into existing or third party fibre infrastructure then other factors may come into play.

If you really want an intro to fibre then I’d recommend watching the PracticalShowTech video below.
    It’s produced by guys that are involved in the big boys production world of stadium touring, presidential inaugurations and the like so there is a lot of emphasis on long range single mode fibre that tends to be used in that world (again selected for distance capabilities I expect) but most of the information presented applies to short range multimode too.

https://practicalshow.tech/show-archive/fiber-guy-friday-with-jesse-madison-pst-050?rq=fiber

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.