Using DMX cable with DX168

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Using DMX cable with DX168

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jay-T
    Jay-T
    Participant

We are needing to buy some longer XLR cables to run from the DX168 to the powered FOH speakers but we also have some unused long DMX cables. I’m wondering what the implications (if any) of using these cable instead of buying new XLR cables
    to save some $$.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

My humble opinion is you would never know the difference. DMX cable is 110 ohm. Same as AES/EBU digital cable. At line level it really makes no difference. Some might disagree. I’ve done it. Just like I’ve used CAT6 cable for DMX. Also 110ohm. Works fine especially for installs.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’d agree. 110 ohm cable is fine to use for line, or even mic, level audio.

A lot of the time, “ordinary” mic leads will work for DMX too, but can cause problems if you’re getting close to the limits of the spec, so best avoided.

Profile photo of Jay-T
    Jay-T
    Participant

Thanks GCumbee and MarkPAman. Would it matter that the DMX cable is 5 pin with the 3 pin adapter on them at both ends?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Not for the signal no.

But remember that adaptors always hide, just when you need them the most! If the cables are never to be used for lighting again, I’d just change the ends. It’s probably only single pair cable anyway.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.